The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

[Edit] Under coat final finish

Vr4junkie

Ok so I'm redoing all the suspension on my car and I want to spray the chassis with some under coat I went to my local auto part store and these are the options they got now the question is which two choose all three of these guys make great products.

Anybody here have any experience with these three or know of a better brand?

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

So 3M it is any ideas on about how many of theses cans I should get to spay a nice even coat?

Barnes

So you are spraying the body of the car? Not any of the suspension components right?

Just know that there is undercoating, and rubberized undercoating. I believe plain undercoating just looks like a black tar like covering. Where as the rubberized stuff has the lumpy texture to it. The rubberized stuff is supposed to provide more protection and sound reduction.

Vr4junkie

No im not going to spray any of the suspension parts but I will be giving it a fresh paint job im perrty much replacing all the bushings and im ganna have to drop the front and rear subframe so thats why im trying to spray it I would like the rubberized stuff now that you brought it up.

bobdole

I used the rubberized 3M stuff. Works great. Make sure you clean under there. I used a pressure washer first, then simple green and then pressure wash again.

pot

Staff member
I also used the rubberized 3M stuff when I used to own 893. And I did exactly to a tee what Bob Dole said except I used "Purple Power." My degreaser of choice. Referencing the FSM, I used exactly what the book cited which was: 3M ATD Part No.8864. Unfortunately when using this stuff though, you need a couple things:

- paint gun
- an air compressor
- reducer/dilluter

When done though it looks pretty damn good and durable I think. I wish I had some pictures to share sadly I never took any.

prove_it

Be warned though, it will stink. Use the 3m stuff only. The other stuff will breakdown when you get oil on it. Believe me. Be sure to give it a few days to dry, worst thing is getting it on your arm hair.

Vr4junkie

Quoting Pot:
I also used the rubberized 3M stuff when I used to own 893. And I did exactly to a tee what Bob Dole said except I used "Purple Power." My degreaser of choice. Referencing the FSM, I used exactly what the book cited which was: 3M ATD Part No.8864. Unfortunately when using this stuff though, you need a couple things:

- paint gun
- an air compressor
- reducer/dilluter

When done though it looks pretty damn good and durable I think. I wish I had some pictures to share sadly I never took any.

I checked out that 3M stuff about how many Bottles/Quarts did you end up using for the VR4 just wonder cause that stuff is about 33 bucks a pop.

And the Paint gun can it be any paint gun or does it have to be a special one?

@luis84one Will do on the Pics might be a while put ill post up my process as I go on.

@Prove it I'll defiantly take that into consideration I honestly never messed with the stuff before so thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

pot

Staff member
I used one whole bottle and about 3/4 of the second one. I laid it on pretty thick from "behind" the front crossmember to just before the gas tank. I think you could get away w/ one bottle but I'd order two to be safe. But it really depends on how much of the chassis you want to undercoat like wheel wells, behind brake/steering lines, etc.

Also, shop around as I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $22.00 I'm no expert but I'd maybe give the folks at this link a call about sq ft coverage:

3M Company 8864 Body Schutz

Vr4junkie

Alright so Ill just get 2 bottles then to be on the clear side and will any paint gun do or is there a special purpose built one required?

pot

Staff member
There is a special purpose built 3M gun which is in the link I forwarded you:

applicator gun, part number 08997

That gun was pretty damn expensive but I didn't pay nearly near what the site at that link is advertising. Contact or wait for other forum members to chime in or visit a body shop because I'm by no means an expert. The 3M gun has pretty big mouth mouth/nozzle/dispenser compared to your HVLP/LVHP paint gun. You get what you pay for and since you have most of the suspension removed might as well do it right the first time despite the expense. Don't forget the reducer/dilluter too.

G

Staff member
that stuff is awesome. Look here >> click it recommends the gun and application wand. That wand is handy.

Vr4junkie

Thanks for the link G that gun is a whole lot cheaper than the 3M gun I might just order this tonight is the wand worth the extra 25 bucks I dont really know what it does.

Last edited:

pot

Staff member
Dude, read man do some research. If you click on the wand icon it explains that it is for hard to reach area's as its flexible and 36" in long. Also, the link I forwarded you is just to get some ideas running for you.

If you do the research you can find the 3M mighty cheap, you just gotta do some diggin.

Vr4junkie

Well im at work right now so its kind of hard to read a review on a little 2in window while still doing my work but I am going to doing some research as soon as I get some time off.

But what I was asking is will I be using that wand alot or is it ganna be one of those things I use one or two times and be done with it and could of spent 25 dollars else were you know.

pot

Staff member
I understand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif -That whack town you reside in must be SoCal. Realistically it depends how thorough and meticulous of a job your trying to accomplish. If your not taping off areas and plan on just hitting the undercarriage from front to rear subframe less wheel wells than your less likely to need the wand in my opinion. I'd personally use it if I had only the rear subframe attached and I wanted to get in behind fuel/4WS lines.

Vr4junkie

Well Front and Rear subframe are both coming out since im getting the Boostx and Energy suspension master bushings kit I ended up going with this gun click now I just need the reducer/diluter.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts