The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Going to the track Saturday

WaRrIoRs16

I'm finally getting to take the galant to the track this Saturday in Yakima with the hx35. Its has some idle and cold stalling issues but besides that its driving pretty well. I haven't had a chance to tune the car at all, including the VE table, but we'll see how it goes. I don't have a picture of it finished.

My fiance is going back to Yakima for her bacheloret party, so I figured this is the perfect chance to take both my cars to the track. She is going to drive the GSX to Yakima, then when I get off work, I'm going to take the galant over. Then I'll race both the galant and gsx saturday.

This GSX was a filthy train wreck inside and out before I got it. I had to trailer it home because it would have never made the 4 hour trip. After pulling the engine and cleaning everything, the engine bay looks decent. I threw away the seats cuz they were nasty and picked up some leather ones. I stripped most all the interior plastics and carpet to clean, then put in a new carpet. Now just the exterior is a filthy train wreck.

Before

After

The collection

GSX_TC

I like that last picture.

transparentdsm

the 2g is gonna rust out in the strut towers anyway, haha. why bother garaging it when he already has 2 beauties sitting in there...

marvinmadman

^ why is that? I looked at a 2g the other day and I noticed that. It was from Pa.

matt92vr4

This thread needs more 1/4 mile times...

MellowVR4

Quoting marvinmadman:
^ why is that? I looked at a 2g the other day and I noticed that. It was from Pa.

Because mitsubishi messed up, if you stick ur hand inside the wheel well and youll see that there is no type of protection, so just everything gets in there and sits.

transparentdsm

yeah and there is also the factor of everywhere in my area when winter hits the salt gets tossed on the ground for like 5 months and people who own these cars dont realize the no wheel well covers and they dont clean there cars off after they drive in the salt. there for rust.

WaRrIoRs16

Quoting turbowop:
I'd be there with you, but I'll be a groomsman at Skamania Lodge in Brianawd's wedding. Good luck!

Thanks Mark, hopefully all goes well.

WaRrIoRs16

Quoting transparentdsm:
the 2g is gonna rust out in the strut towers anyway, haha. why bother garaging it when he already has 2 beauties sitting in there...

I haven't looked at it for rust, but its really clean. It leaks water though, so its normally parked where the galant is. The 1g was getting surgery, so that's why it was in the garage.

I'm closing on a house with a 3 car attached garage, so soon they will all have a spot lol.

WaRrIoRs16

The trip didn't go too well. I only got one pass in with the galant before it broke. I bogged the launch badly but after that it pulled perfect. Completely untuned it ran 13.0. The stock GSX, terrible compression and all, ran a 16.5, 16.2, 16.0 and that's all I got to do.

Here's the pull. Click
GSX versus my friends laser. Click

As soon as I let off, the car died. Something went wrong with my clutch (2600 with a 4puck sprung) and it wouldn't let me shift into gear. I don't know whats wrong still, but I can get into every gear with the car off, just not with the car on so I'm pretty sure its not a blown tranny. I'm thinking its the clutch/fork/TOB or something in there. The slave is moving like it should, so its not a hydraulic issue. I was able to shift without the clutch, so I was glad that I could at least make the 4 hour trip home..... but I was wrong.

On the freeway 30 miles from home at 9:30pm, the car all of a sudden lost mechanical power and began slowing down. As soon as it stopped, the car died and wouldn't start. Looking under the hood, I could clearly see the crank sprocket between the harmonic balance and the lower timing belt cover. I eventually got a tow from a friend, but it was a long night. Upon further inspection, I found the crank sprocket bolt had backed out and the harmonic balancer and crank sprocket were barely if any attached to the crank. I don't know what damage has been done, I'll have to check it out when I get some time.

matt92vr4

Oh man, bummer. Time for more go-fast parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wizardawd

Either the disc or a piece from the disc probably came apart and is getting lodged between the flywheel and pressure plate.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts