The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3" Exhaust Build Info

matt92vr4

Hi guys, when I bought my car and started to mod it, I could not seem to find any info regarding exhausts. As a newb, it was confusing. Trying to figure out which downpipe would work, if any...1g, 2g...? Who knows. I just could not find any solid info.

I finished my exhaust last night and decided to make this post in attempt to help someone in the future. I'm not claiming to have all of the answers, or even the best answers. I'm just going to share what I did and hope it is helpful. I'm running a 2g exhaust mani, s16g turbo, and 2g o2 housing.

I built a full 3" mandrel bent exhaust with no cat and one muffler. If you have emission testing, this is not for you. Otherwise, continue on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I tried to do this with the least amount of money as possible while resulting in a decent end product. I'm pretty happy with the results. It ended up costing much more than I expected. I'll total that up in the end of this thread. This exhaust is just barely louder than my stock exhaust (that had a few rust holes in the muffler). I'll update this thread with video when I figure out how to do such a thing. The db app test is as follows:

Windows up, phone sitting near the clock.
Car off: 30db
Idle: 60db
45mph cruise in 5th: 62db
70mph cruise in 5th: 62db
3rd gear WOT pull to redline: 64db /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Downpipe: $70
I decided to try out the $70 Ebay downpipe. The fit is perfect. Time will tell how well it holds up. I also tested this out at the track. With full stock exhaust I ran a 14.3@95. I dropped the stock exhaust and installed the EBAY downpipe and ran a 13.4@101. It has a nice flex section and a threaded hanger to use the stock bolt and hanger. The only thing I would change is the neck diameter reduces down at the o2 housing to mate up. The neck of the DP is the same diameter as the o2 housing, so it is probably OK.
EBAY Downpipe
This sale has ended, but search EBAY for "Stainless Steel Downpipe Eclipse GSX 89 90 91 92 93 94"

Muffler: $125
This is an important piece of the pie. I've had cars in the past that were SO annoying to cruise around in. I did not want that for my DD GVR4. After some research I decided to go with the Vibrant Performance StreetPower Flat Black Universal Muffler 1147. This is a 3" straight through muffler. I'm extremely impressed by how well it works.
Vibrant Muffler

Piping: $195+shipping
I purchased all of my piping and hangers from Mandrel Bending Solutions . They were very fast and responsive. All of my piping and hangers came in correctly within 5 business days. They sent the wrong flange. I notified them and they immediately credited the amount. This worked out well because I simply cut off the flange on the downpipe and welded it directly to the rest of the exhaust. I'm really glad this worked out in this manner. I think having a flange there would be more trouble than anything. Needless to say I'm happy with their service and I will use them again when I need i/c piping.

All of the piping is 409 SS 3"

QTY 2: 5' staights $50 each HERE
I used one full pipe and only 18" of the other. If you decide to install a 18" cat or resonator, you would only need one 5' pipe. Total $100

QTY 1: 90 bend $20 each HERE Total $20

QTY 3: 45 bend $20 each HERE Total $60

QTY 5: hangers $3 each HERE Total $15

That covers the materials. Then I have to buy a new cutoff blade, grinding disks, and the whopper... a new welding tank. That's not the Galants fault though so I won't add those in to the cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
PICS:

Total material cost with shipping is about $430.

Last edited:

bobdole

Nice job. Looks good.

blacksheep

Looks good, can you post a pic from farther back. In the muffler pic, it looks like it was not centered. Just curious if this muffler can be made to fit right.

I want a similar system or go the BobDole route and get the CMP twin tip and paint it black. I have a 2.5" with a JUN BL muffler on mine and don't like the looks. It also hangs low which annoys the crap out of me

James

Sweet. Only thing different I would have done was get the vibrant dual tip muffler. I think they looks so much better on our cars

matt92vr4

Hi guys, yes it is a bit off center which does bug me a bit. It doesn't look as bad in person than it does in that pic. It wasn't really a mistake, as I had to put it there to avoid the tow strap. It could be moved over a bit by moving the muffler toward the front of the car a little and moving it over. IMO in this case you would also need to extend the muffler tip out a few inches.

I like the dual tip as well. I went back and forth between the two and decided to go with the single. I'm going total sleeper look and I think the single pulls that off a little better. I'll post some better pics later.

DSMGVR4

Exhaust looks good. I think total sleeper look is better achieved with dual tips since stock is dual tip. Bigger single-tip screams "not stock" for our cars.

James

"DSMGVR4
I think total sleeper look is better achieved with dual tips since stock is dual tip."

This x2

4thStroke

When I had my exhaust built, I was asked if I wanted the "sleeper" exhaust, I said "yes," not knowing it would be dual tip. I love the way it turned out. I was originally turned off by it and a little upset, but it turns out that it fits the car very well.

For stainless steal mufflers, we (the shop I'm at) only use Vibrant mufflers, they are top notch, fitment is consistent, and they sound great. We build at least 3 different kind of exhausts (in multiples) a week (Evo 8/9 and Evo X mostly) and we have zero complaints with Vibrant. Don't hesitate to go with Vibrant.

matt92vr4

I like dual tips but I don't think they are best for sleeper status. Not many people have a clue that our cars had dual tips stock. Imo dual look better but belong on a really nice specimen. My vr4 is not nice enough to pull off dual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BpuVR4

so how's that downpipe holding up?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts