The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Extremely high fuel pressure

Okay so I have been running a walbro 255 fuel pump but my stock regulator could not handle it so my fuel pressure was at 120 psi, I finally went out and bought an AFPR from Extreme PSI (Fuel Lab 515 kit) After installation we tried to lower the pressure to no avail. I've tried everything from pulling my vacuum line like your supposed to do, to taking it apart and inspecting the diaphragm for damage/debris, also I've tried it with the car on & off. I have not checked my return line for blockage since I just replaced that line about a month ago (but I know it could still be clogged) its weird cause it sits around 97 psi and it will raise above that point and I can lower down but only to about 97-98 psi. Any suggestions or ideas? Had anyone had a similar issue?

prove_it

Only one thing would do that....

A bad return line.

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Can't tell if your being sarcastic

Im not... but i would first check the return line, clogged line would cause high pressure

Haha well here's the kicker... I have a bad ECU (leaky caps) i actually sent a back up ecu i have out to ECMTuning earlier today, so when I get a good one back ill test it out. And as far as the return line goes, when I switched from the fuel cell I bought the car with to the OEM tank I recently installed, I had to buy all new rubber lines, but the return line was cut in half. So I just got the other half of the line & used a barbed connector to join the 2 ends, can't recall the size of the fitting but I know it made the ID of my linesmaller at that point. Now that I think about it I can almost bet that is my problem. It's getting restricted from that brass fitting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

check it out before waiting for your ECU to return, it can be your cause!
If it fails, try the ECU...

CutlassJim

The ECU doesn't cycle the fuel pump. On an Evo it does tell it to run at high or low speed but not on a DSM/GVR4.

prove_it

That's why I thought he was being sarcastic. Fuel pump is an on/off device and the ECM uses the main relay to control it. In order to have 120psi you have to have a nearly closed return line.

MellowVR4

Did this issue just happend out of the BLUE?

desant78

Get ballsy-and dumb. Just unhook your return And let it dump to a space (bucket, etc). Quick tell.

slugsgomoo

Have you tried using a different fuel pressure gauge or sender (if electric) just to verify that you are getting the right reading? I've seen some bizarre high readings on both mechanical and electrical in the past (though on the electrical, I think someone put a MAP sensor in the AFPR rather than the fuel sensor).

Other than that, put a hose on the output of the AFPR put that in a large bucket and see if you can drop the pressure to a reasonable rate. If you can, it's a clogged return that you need to address.

Barnes

I like the suggestions, but please don't use a bucket. If you want to do the test, run the hose into a gas can.

strokin4dr

Or around the car back into the fill hole!

Quoting Kelby:
check it out before waiting for your ECU to return, it can be your cause!
If it fails, try the ECU...

okay, I will try to get to it today when I'm done work. Thanks for the help.

Yah that fitting I used brought it down to about half it's size... I guess this is why you shouldn't rush things huh? But It was the only size I could use at the time since all stores were closed for the night.

Quoting MellowVR4:
Did this issue just happend out of the BLUE?

no it's always been high since I've been driving it, but since I've switched to to Walbro 255 and the Fuel Lab 515 AFPR it got worse. When I hit boost (I try not to) you can smell the gas.

Quoting desant78:
Get ballsy-and dumb. Just unhook your return And let it dump to a space (bucket, etc). Quick tell.

that's what I will try doing today, I'm gonna test it before that brass fitting to see if tht is my problem or not. Thanks!

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Have you tried using a different fuel pressure gauge or sender (if electric) just to verify that you are getting the right reading? I've seen some bizarre high readings on both mechanical and electrical in the past (though on the electrical, I think someone put a MAP sensor in the AFPR rather than the fuel sensor).

Other than that, put a hose on the output of the AFPR put that in a large bucket and see if you can drop the pressure to a reasonable rate. If you can, it's a clogged return that you need to address.

I have 2 gauges hooked up, they are both pretty much giving me the same readings, I know it's not my gauges, something else is seriously wrong. I thought that too but then I eliminated it as a problem

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned