The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What would a person expect to pay for a engine rebuild ?

Steve885

So as it says I'm thinking about having my 2.3 stroked engine rebuilt.. Just wondering if anyone payed the price and what it cost. Just trying to get a idea..thanks again

dsm10o0

Replacement piston rings go for $100, new bearings ACL race go for another $100 for main and rods, Youll save alot if you do it your self but if you have a shop do it for you, who knows how much itll go for.

How many miles are on your motor?

EHmotorsports

really its going to depend on what the shop mic's everything out to and if any components need replacement. granted you will have the cost of Bearings,rings,gaskets,seals,cleaning costs, machine work.

Steve885

Well here is my situation.. There is about approximately 5000 miles on this build.. I had a little mishap what I thought was a mis shift but I know now was the timing belt tensioner broke free cause the engine went to super high RPMs..so I have a shop looking into it.. They got the timing belt back on and when hand cranking it they could hear a slapping sound..looking into it further they took off the oil pan and found all 4 oil squirters in the pan sheared off and ..the slapping sound seem to be coming from a piston that is deformed probably from the oil squirter not cooling it. Also they said the crank bearings aren't wearing like they should kind of have a wavy pattern to them.. That's all I know now

rdomeck

Paying a shop to build will get expensive. Sounds like your in for a full tear down and check everything very closely. I would say your well over $4000.

EMX5636

The broken squirters are common on strokers unless they were clearanced/checked when installed. I've had to bend them a bit to clear certain pistons. I HIGHLY doubt the piston is deformed from lack of squirter as I would guess they are forged pistons. They will take a lot more heat/abuse before problems. I don't have any squirters in my 2.0L forged engine and it sees up to 35PSI all the time.

As far as the bearings, I've yet to see a "nice" set of used stroker main bearings. They are just rough on them. If you broke/slipped the timing belt, you need to pull the head. Chances are you have bent valves which are stuck open and hitting the piston(s) at TDC.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned