The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Nice QUIET exhaust

Steve885

I'm looking to build a nice quiet exhaust..from the turbo back...any suggestions..I'm tired of droning mufflers

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve885

Maybe I should rephrase...yeah I know stock would be quiet.. I'm looking for a muffler that is straight throu but a lot of packing..do u know of any??

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesFoster

You know what's better than quite exhausts? Quiet ones.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry for being a grammar dick. Now that that's over with, Anything with a nice large oval muffler will be pretty quiet.

Add an inline resonator to keep it down even more and you'll have a free flowing system with no drone and little noise.

Here's an inline resonator:
click

Take your pick of mufflers, but this is the style you want.
click
click
click

JamesFoster

Dude I was kidding around, don't take offense... Sorry. Everyone is so damn touchy on the internet.

But those mufflers/resonator combos would be perfect for what you want to do. A simple 3" or even 2.5" system with an 18" resonator inline and a nice big oval muffler at the end. I have A Vibrant one my daily without a resonator and it sounds nice and isn't too loud. If you add a resonator it would be perfect.

cheekychimp

Also what sort of power level are you at and what sized turbo are you running?

People say you should always fit the best flowing exhaust you can on a turbocharged car but on a 16G car I always felt that a 2.5" exhaust was the best compromise. Stepping up to a 3" exhaust was never worth all the additional noise given the nominal amount of extra horsepower that it liberated (in my opinion). Obviously if you are running something bigger you might have to re-consider.

Steve885

2.3-20 over .. 100 mm crank, with a soon to be installed modified big 16 g..right now I'm running a t4 60 trim ..I didn't set up the exhaust. It's so freaking loud. I set off every car alarm on my street..I think James is right I'm going to have it redone to fit the stock setup. I might just add a couple resonators to the system..when I went down to the muffler shop the guy kept talking about glass packs. Was throwing me off..

Steve885

Hey James I was just kidding as we'll...haha. I didn't even realize I was watching u when u were in sf (civic center )small world then your ad on CL..

JamesFoster

Oh you're that Steve! Haha. That's funny man, you were at dew tour? Definitely a small world... Ha, I drove my galant there.

I don't know what muffler you have on the car now, but im tellin ya, those little round ones dont do jack sh*t compared to the big oval ones. I've had both, I'll never go back to a round one. If I were you I would get one of those vibrant ones I posted a link to, have it put on at an exhaust shop, and you'll probably be happy with that.

5OF2k

Quoting Steve001:
when I went down to the muffler shop the guy kept talking about glass packs. Was throwing me off..

He was most likely talking about using glasspacks inline as resonators. I've done that on an H2B civic I had with a full 3" exhaust, and on an NA car the noise is REDICULOUS (as Im sure you know).

I had the Kiddracing tri-y header with 2.75" collector, catless, into a 3" after that. I had 18" and 24" glasspacks in the Bpipe and a 3" vibrant stealth single tip muffler. It was fantastically quiet, I loved it. From inside the car all i could hear was intake noises with a hint of exhaust note, from the outside is was basically the same, but slightly louder exhaust wise. I went from being able to be heard going to a friends house from a couple blocks away to being able to pull up in front of his house without him knowing I was there, FWIW. Best part is, it was CHEAP. The 24" glasspack only cost me $24, the 18" was $20. Hard to argue with that, eh?

G/L Steve, hop that helps!

-Jake

PJGross

I had just a round dynomax straight through and that was pretty loud for my taste.

I put a glass pack or straight through resonator (18" long) between the downpipe and the rear diff, and now have to choose between the dynomax or a vibrant oval dual output muffler at the end (like the 2nd or 3rd link above but in matte black) that I picked up with some piping on here used.

Can't say how it sounds though b/c I haven't run it. Should have some results soon.

-PJ

MellowVR4

thermal with a resonator is pretty quiet.

blacksheep

I have read the certified 3" system is really good sounding with minimum drone, but some have said the fitments are iffy. Unsure of validity of those comments

turbowop

My 3" Certified setup is loud. It used to have a round Dynomax muffler. When I installed the JDM rear bumper, I had Andre install a nice oval Magnaflow. Zero difference in sound. It sounds good, but it's pretty damn loud. That is with a test pipe, btw.

And watch it with the Certified stainless stuff. The few times I have driven 1051 in the rain were interesting. The hot exhaust will do weird things when water is splashed on it. Mine liked to bend in such a way that one of the hangers would contact the driveshaft and make a nasty banshee type screeching sound. As soon as it dried, it went away. That was only in really heavy rain, but it sucked.

blacksheep

Seems like you are also saying there is some whacky fitment issues. I also see that their whole catback is wavy - it has a lot of soft bends. I think they could have done away with many of those, maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

Probably, but I think they went for factory fitment instead of straightlining where they could. I'm not really worried about the bends, as they're all mandrel and I doubt I'd gain power with a less bendy exhaust at my level. The exhaust itself fits well, it's just the weird stainless issues in the rain.

presterone

Can you even buy brand new cat backs for our cars? They are a little longer than awd DSM right?

Barnes

Quoting turbowop:
Probably, but I think they went for factory fitment instead of straightlining where they could. I'm not really worried about the bends, as they're all mandrel and I doubt I'd gain power with a less bendy exhaust at my level. The exhaust itself fits well, it's just the weird stainless issues in the rain.

Any idea what gauge pipe they use?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts