The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Baby seat trouble

I have a 1 1/2 year old son that I will be putting in my VR-4 but my issue is I can not figure out how to securelystrap in his seat. The seat I use Is forward facing and it has 3 anchor straps (2 on the bottom to keep it from tipping left & right and 1 on top to keep it from tipping forward) normally I clip them in to the metal hooks in newer vehicles, but as all you vr4 dads know it doesn't have them (and I also put the normal car seat belt through the back of the baby seat for added strength/security. Any tips or ideas of how to keep it held in securely? I need to get around town with him but I'm stuck in the mean time. It looks like there are spots in the rear seat where the metal hooks should be (the two maybe 3 sleeves/pockets) not sure what they are or what they do but I stuck my hand inside of them and felt nothing at all) maybe there is a way I can fab up something that will be safe to hold the weight of him and the pressure of the straps pulling on it.... Let me know what you guys do or any ideas you got. Thanks in advance!

rdomeck

I have four year old twins and have their car seats in the back of mine all the time. The holes you refer to are for holder the seat belt receptors when the seat belts are not in use....

I just run the seat belt through the car seat and tighten it up. The stay put and given a collision they would not move. Not as comforting as the hooks, but it does work.

or you could try these click

I may have to make up some of these the correct length for our cars and offer them to the Dad's who need them......Check back with me if you don't find anything that works for you.

matt92vr4

I bought the Galant specifically to pick my two kids in the back. Otherwise I'd still have my old 2-door vr4's. Putting the seat belt through the babyseat works great.

James

I'm not reading the thread but ill say that my baby seat works great in the galant

Quoting rdomeck:
I have four year old twins and have their car seats in the back of mine all the time. The holes you refer to are for holder the seat belt receptors when the seat belts are not in use....

I just run the seat belt through the car seat and tighten it up. The stay put and given a collision they would not move. Not as comforting as the hooks, but it does work.

or you could try these click

I may have to make up some of these the correct length for our cars and offer them to the Dad's who need them......Check back with me if you don't find anything that works for you.

yah i figured it was for the seat belts, a while back i remember putting the receptor into it and got it stuck in there lol. i clicked on the link you sent me and that looks great, exactly what i need... only problem is i need to figure out where to bolt it down. any thoughts? i would be just happt with the seat belt method but its my old lady who is freaking out(understandably)about not having the ancho clips lol. thanks for the reply & help this may be the solution to my problem

oh and PS- i would definitely buy those if you fabbed em up... now go get to work! haha

rdomeck

Those clips should bolt into the seat belt bolts. This has been on my list to look in to......I'll move it up a little on the list!

maroonmetallic

Im pretty sure I have seen someone's pictures on here where they put that bolt where the platic plug is normally on the rear deck.
IIRC, there are 2 or 3 plugs up by the rear speakers & they put one or two of those anchors there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Shawn

Quoting rdomeck:
Those clips should bolt into the seat belt bolts. This has been on my list to look in to......I'll move it up a little on the list!

oh okay, that sounds great! i will be looking into this too. if you don't beat me to it i will post my results to let other dads know how it works out.

JCorbo25

I've had up to 3 car seats in the back of the Galant, the seat belts always felt secure and snug.

I wouldn't mind some LATCH points though.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
The Galant must have latch attachment/bolt in spots in the rear deck.
I installed a latch via bolt/latch kit by Safety 1ST, and there were either 2 or 3 spots in my Colt just below the sill for the hatch.
Removed the plug and installed the bolt with the latch bar. Voila, I can have the little guy in the center of the car.
Granted he is forward facing now, so the top tether helped a bunch before he switched to larger seats that are inflated boosters.
Not sure if that helps with the rear facing kids seat (they have to be this way until they are old enough/large enough) but I did use seat belts when my guy was younger,
and he was still rearward facing. Sunfire's did not have the SAS lower pickup points like newer cars, just seat belts that once fully extended will ratchet on the way back,
and in combination with the belt toggle (supplied with all car seats), the seat belt should be very stable. Follow the guide with your seat, is about the best advice I could give
in that regard; and also to keep it level with the fancy gauge on the side.

LT1UltraZ

Any pics of the installs. Just got a new rear/front facing seats and have no clue how to get it installed so it doesn't move around.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned