The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

18" Rims and 3kgt Brakes.

Nabeel

I am to buy new rims. I am looking for 18" rims. But I am confused about the offset as I am using 3000gt VR4 Brakes. The current rims are touching the calipers & had to use wheel spacers & longer nuts. I am not happy with the current setup as wheels are not matching the fenders.
Any advice what rims/ wheel offset size to pick?

Jesus_Negros

+35 or less offset, the spoke design comes into play also.

Nabeel

Alaikum Assalam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So Zero to 30+ is the best offset for best fit/ looking for 3kgt brakes! Any one recommend rims brand will give more clearance for the Brakes?

Jesus_Negros

LOL 0 offset is NOT going to work on DSM's or GVR4's. Starion can do 0 offset though! lol

bobdole

The offset has nothing to do with brake clearence. Has to do with the rear pad of the wheel. Find a wheel you like and ask the company if they will clear bigger brakes.

kama1

Tackled this too not too long ago.ended up with +46 oem jdm 3kgt/gto rims.

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

Quoting bobdole:
The offset has nothing to do with brake clearence. Has to do with the rear pad of the wheel. Find a wheel you like and ask the company if they will clear bigger brakes.

Higher offset wheels are harder to fit over the 3kgt vr4 calipers in our cars. Unless you use 3000gt wheels which to me arent good looking on DSM's or GVR4's. Lower offset wheels fit better and give the spokes a better chance of clearing the wheels, I know for sure any evo 8,9, and X wheel clear the calipers. This is coming from personal experience.

JNR

Also, the design of the spokes make a difference; meaning, how 'curved' they are in order to clear calipers...Not sure that the 3000 brakes are as beefy as brembos (huge width with 4+ piston) though, but imagine they exceed the vr-4 and dsm ones enough.

Was looking at my vr-4 wheels the other day and was amazed at how far back the rotors sit, with respect to being able to run a large caliper on them...the spokes stick out almost flush (never measured BS)and are thin and slightly curved, so all those help...they are 17's, so not sure it'd be big enough diameter though on say brembos with a larger dia rotor.

Jesus_Negros

The 3kgt front caliper are 4 piston and pretty large compared to our stockers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nabeel

Actually I am still at 4 lugs so Evo or 3kgt are not an option. I still thinking lower offset will have better chance for bigger braks. At the same time avoiding having the rims out of the fenders.
I am sure someone here is using big brakes and can give an advice.

Jesus_Negros

I used to have the 2kgt vr4 calipers before i parted my car. I think +28 through +38 offset will be good for you. How wide of a wheel are you thinking?

Nabeel

I am thinking about 8 to 8.5 wide.

turbowop

Quoting bobdole:

I'm in agreement with this.

Offsets can change regardless of spoke design. Some wheels just get deeper (bigger lip) as offset gets smaller, which means it would do nothing for caliper clearance. Imagine the outer rim moving outward but the spokes staying in the same spot in relation to the center of the wheel. It's all about the pad behind the spoke and the design (curve) of the spoke itself.

Nabeel

Nabeel

I ended up with this.... [ The offset has nothing to do with brake clearance ] . The wheel model & design make much difference.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned