The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any Flat Black GVR-4 s around here?

Vr4junkie

Trying to see if there's any Flat Black GVR-4 s around haven't found any decent pictures I seen a few Evo's and look pretty good but never seen it on a VR-4 if you guys have or know of any post them up.

A few pics of Flat Black cars

I was thinking these style rims and going with the 93 Galant Ls front bumper and of course with the flat black paint what do you guys think.

Last edited:

fuel

Don't confuse a good satin (semi-gloss) black paint job with a flat/matte black paint job. The results are often no where near the same.

When I think flat/matte black I think this:

flat16ut.jpg

If you're going to do satin black, make sure it's a damn good job with proper paint and good body prep work, not straight out of a rattle can.

JNR

haven't seen any vr-4s with flat black, but IMO why go thru all the trouble of a good paint job, only to have it look unfinished...no matter how good of a job, it just cheapens the car, no matter what kind it is. But, it's not mine, so don't care, lol.

GSX_TC

Somebody already made a thread asking this a while back, and a few people chimed in with pics of their cars in this color.

gvr4ever

Quoting fuel:
Don't confuse a good satin (semi-gloss) black paint job with a flat/matte black paint job. The results are often no where near the same.

When I think flat/matte black I think this:

flat16ut.jpg

If you're going to do satin black, make sure it's a damn good job with proper paint and good body prep work, not straight out of a rattle can.

That looks like a very uneven rattle can job with no clear coat top. Clear coats can also come in different glosses too.

The word flat black is overused. I'd do a egg shell or satin, but I'm not sure the GVR4 is the right car for that.

turbowop

The only cars that can pull off satin black have aggressive bodies. The Galant body doesn't really have the right qualities, IMO.

gvr4ever

^^^^^

I agree. Maybe just the wheels, but not the whole car. Or maybe all satin black on all the black accents on a white GVR4, including the wheels.

Vr4junkie

@gvr4ever,turbowop Yea I know what you guys mean its one of those things that looks really good or looks like crap but the only cars I seen with this color are sport cars with aggressive body curves like you guys said not sure if this box body can pull it off I just need to see some pics.

@GSX_TC Do you remember in what section and about how long ago that thread was posted I tryed searching but only things that popped up were off subject threads maybe I can go page to page.

GSX_TC

Sorry bud, I don't remember exactly, it was a few months back either in the general or newb sections. If you have the time and patience you can just go back a bunch of pages till you see a thread similar to your title.

citymunky

BpuVR4

damn i love them...but the guys are right, the body has to be right. maybe w some really well fitting wheels. that evo in the first pic is beautiful. I remember Jesse James did a Bentley Continental GT in one and it looked ridiculously awesome

Vr4junkie

DR1665

195/2000 is flat black. As in rattle can flat black. As in, I got a case of generic, flat black spray paint off Amazon for Christmas one year and went nuts. Figure this car has been totaled TWICE and will (hopefully) spend a lot of time on dirt roads, crashing through bushes and whatnot. I want it quick, cheap, and easy to re-spray same day.

Pictures taken back 2008 when I put the new front end on and painted it. Shitty, Blackberry camera phone pics.

Hope this helps. I think it looks pretty cool, actually.

citymunky

images

Ian M

I don't think a GVR4 lends itself to the satin/flat look,and to me the look is played out anyway.

I had a car that was single stage black with flattener added 20 years ago. Those satin jobs look ok when they are fresh,but are a PITA to maintain. Touch it,and it leaves fingerprints,any oil or anything off the road leaves spots,and it'll eventually oxidize and turn grey..you can't buff,compound or wax like a gloss job. Once it starts looking aged,time to paint it again.

As expensive as paint is now (to do it right) I'd rather just spend the extra time to get the car straight and go gloss,but that's just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Noobsauce

click
This paint will oxidize like a normal gloss paint. It's meant to be flat or semi gloss flat.
I prefer a nice gloss finish and feel if you spend all the time to making the body straight why not paint it gloss:)
But I will be painting my 57 F 100 with hotrod flatz. But it's more accepted with older classics.

Vr4junkie

Well I'm coming to my senses now leaning towards this Cyber Grey at what its going to cost me I may have to reconsidered.

Or this Gun Metal Grey or Graphite not sure what actuall color it is.

Last edited:

JNR

I had an interesting color on my V, "Thunder Gray" that was gunmetal but had sort of a greenish hue to it under certain angle/lights.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts