The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wheel spacers?

DDM

I want to bring the back wheels out a bit. They just sit too far in as im sure some of you guys know. How many mm spacer can i get without extending the lugnuts? Will it make a difference?

RedTwo

Will fitting spaces make a difference? Yes, they will space out the wheels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
It's all relative to the wheel offset. I've got 6mm on +20 wheels and they're out a bit far.
Trial some washers over the studs until you get the right spacing and then figure out what needs to change to get it to work.

Tre3zy

i am running a 5mm right now in the back and just a personal thing i wouldnt run anything thicker just to be on the safe side

turbowop

I use 5mm H&R spacers all around on 1051. I had a hard time finding +35 offset LM's, so I ended up with +40's and used the spacers to keep the same stance as I had before. They are thin enough that the factory hub still protrudes to keep the wheels hubcentric and they also come with extended wheel studs.

That said, I found that H&R fucked up with their measurements on studs. From the Mitsu factory, the OE rear studs are shorter than the fronts by 5mm. H&R based their "extended length" studs off the rear measurement and only have one kit for the whole car, be it 5-lug DSM or 4-lug GVR4. So when you buy their spacer kit, and replace your OE studs with the H&R units, only the rear will be 5mm longer. So far, the front has been okay with stock length studs and a 5mm spacer, but I'm not very comfortable with it. I would swap them out, but the goddamn ABS rings make that a gigantic pain in my ass as the whole assembly needs to be pressed apart to swap them. Eff it, the lugs haven't come loose since spring, so I think I'm okay.

DDM

Quoting RedTwo:
Will fitting spaces make a difference? Yes, they will space out the wheels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
It's all relative to the wheel offset. I've got 6mm on +20 wheels and they're out a bit far.
Trial some washers over the studs until you get the right spacing and then figure out what needs to change to get it to work.

I was asking if 5mm make a difference. A noticable difference.

Thank you guys for the replys. I think im going to order some 5mm and then go from there. Seeing how i like them ect.

cheekychimp

There are two other options if you find that the 5mm isn't enough. The first is relatively easy (but the spacer costs a lot more); the second you will probably consider a PITA but it might be worth doing if you consider you also want/need some of the other benefits it brings.

1st Method - A 'hubcentric' spacer. I have no idea if this is what they are called but essentially it is two spacers that fit together. The bottom spacer simply has holes in it that fit over your existing wheel lugs, the top spacer has the same four holes but has its own lug nuts that are inserted from the back. You bolt both spacers onto the hub using your existing lug nuts then bolt your wheel onto the spacer lugs. This tends to be a much wider spacer but may be more what you are looking for if you have standard offset wheels. I have a feeling that with standard offset wheels you will find 5mm isn't enough!

2nd Method - Like I said a real PITA if viewed from the perspective of doing it only for widening the track but not that involved if you are doing it for the added benefits. You need the correct 3KGT rear trailing arms with hubs and a 3KGT e-brake cable. If you swap these in you can change to 5-lug and get yourself an independent rear drum brake and twin pot rear calipers plus 12mm extra track, all at the same time. You can retain 4-lug hubs if you want but that requires a little more work and some machining if I recall. Too much work probably but if you were considering a 5-lug swap and wanted to upgrade your brakes as well, then it's a relatively easy way to kill three birds with one stone.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts