The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Holset Hx35 vs Evo 8 Twin Scroll 16g

Specter

Guys i am in a dilemma here. At this point my 2g 4g63t is a stock rebuilt, running td04 turbo with a 2g maf, stock fmic, 450cc injectors, 2.5 inch free flow exhaust, upgraded fuel pump, misc gauges, boost controller etc. I intend to change the turbo and the fmic setup. I already have the fmic, but i am not sure which turbo to go for.

I have both Holset Hx35 and Evo 8 16g ( with the evo 8 twin scroll manifold) available with me. First thing is that the evo 8 turbo is fairly new, came off a friends evo, and is much more trust worthy. However, the Holset was picked up from the market and i am not sure how long it will last, no shaft play whatsoever.

For the time being i want to swap the turbo, run mild boost to keep it safe with 450cc injectors. In the future i would upgrade the injectors and add some fuel control device.

Which turbo should i go for? The holset or the evo 8 16g? And why? I have no issues in rotating the evo 8 turbo to make it fit in our engine bay.

I "think" other than rotating the evo8 turbo, the oil feed and return pipe will remain the same. Not sure about the the water pipes but they can be made to fit. Other than that a new intake pipe, connect it to the 2g maf, work on the exhaust, and i am done. However, there is whole lot of work with the Holset.

What do u guys advice i should do? I want to install a good turbo now so that i dont have to upgrade it in the near future. Goals for now are 300hp after changing the injectors, and in the future probably around 350-375 hp if my block holds.

Would like to beat some Honda's around here running on b16 turbo setups.

citymunky

If you plan on still using the 450cc injecters, I would go with the Evo 8's 16g. You should make more power with the Holset, however the mods you currently have will not support that turbo choice.

I find it funny people hate Honda's all over the world.

alansupra94

I vote for the Evo8 as well. You wouldn't be able to fully use that Holset HX-35 nor would you see any real benefit.

alansupra94

Well to be honest, those 2G rods probably won't hold above 400hp reliably. Plus your fuel system will definitely need to upgrade as well to actually maximize the Holset. Upgraded valvetrain would also help that Holset breath better as well.

Just better off sticking with the Evo8, unless you are going to put a built motor together.

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

Stock 2g DSM will beat a b16 honda, no worries.

Specter

Hoping for the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
Stock 2g DSM will beat a b16 honda, no worries.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts