The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shift Knobs

mitsuturbo

What shift knob are you running? How low does it sit? Are you using a standard 10x1.25 threaded unit, or some "universal" one? Pictures would be nice.

I'm looking for a decent shift knob, but don't want to be bent over on the price, like the TWM knobs. The greddy "grex" knob sits VERY low, and has a nice feel, but i cannot find one for sale ANYWHERE with the proper thread pattern. This looks nice, but i dont know how low it actually sits on the shifter linkage, and it's > $100.

deserteagle_front.jpg

JNR

Stock knob here, which I don't mind if it were in pristine shape...I thought about making a metal one on the lathe, but am concerned on how hot or cold it would get sitting there...easy enough to make something, just need to decide on material. If I go with the wooden steering wheel, thinking about making a matching wooden knob, but not sure yet.

Most aftermarket shifters I've seen are either chinese cheap or overly $$$, it seems.

JSchleim18

I don't know if you're looking for a weighted shift knob but I had this in my GVR-4 and loved it: click

It's $45 shipped and you can get it without the logo

mitsuturbo

The last thing i want is a shift knob that sits an extra inch higher. I want one that mounts as low as possible. I'd prefer to find something where the threads pretty much bottom out just under the top of the knob.

dammitjim

I've got a UUC knob that I've used in multiple cars. It's drilled all the way through and mounted with a setscrew so it can be as high or low as you want. The shift pattern label covers the hole, and they have multiple pattern available. They are nice and heavy.

It's like these but an older version that is more squared off - click

This is the best pic I've got with it in a VR4. That is a stock shifter.

photo-788386.JPG

Last edited:

QnzMostWanted

i had a evo 8 mr knob (6spd, but i replaced it with a 5spd sticker for the shift) in my 8g galant, it was very comfortable and sat low

just posting so u have an idea of how it looks, the new owner of this car is mailing me back the shiftknob soon so i can fit it in my GS
Shifter.jpg

Last edited:

dsmer06

My Galant has a 2g knob, but my Subaru has a Flossy knob that I like a lot. I have the regular model, but they have a shorter one available, and the powder coating keeps them pretty cool.

web page

tyeler18

I've got the greddy counterweight. Nice knob, just a little smaller than I ideally wanted.

curtis

DSM donkey
But actually like this

mitsuturbo

Quoting tyeler18:
I've got the greddy counterweight. Nice knob, just a little smaller than I ideally wanted.

If it's this one, and you won't sell it to me, i loathe you.
greddy_shift.gif

I can't find one FS anywhere. I'm giving up trying to find one.

Quoting kartorium:
I run a s2000 knob painted white. It was a freebie, but I've grown to like it.

Wrong threads. I'd have to change something for this to fit properly. Hondas use a 10x1.5 thread. Mitsu uses a 10x1.25

Quoting dammitjim:
I've got a UUC knob that I've used in multiple cars. It's drilled all the way through and mounted with a setscrew so it can be as high or low as you want. The shift pattern label covers the hole...

Looks nice, but i want something that threads onto my shift lever. Set screw type models just don't work for me. I want something securely anchored and not prone to slipping, twisting, or falling off as most shift knobs with either plastic inserts or set screws tend to be.

I'm curious as to what some of the rest of you are running. I looked for a 2g shift knob, but JNZ is selling them for over $100. Funny thing about that.. there's a "review" on their page for them where someone 3 years ago was stating how awesome a knob it is for ONLY SEVENTEEN DOLLARS! I found one on ebay, but authenticity is questionable and price is around $50 plus shipping, IIRC.

I think i may have found something. These are fully countersunk and very heavy. The finish looks like it would match the factory interior very well.

EBlack-Silver-5RLR.JPG
click

The Maven countersunk shift knob seems like a decent option as well. They come in the right thread pattern and seem to sit quite low on the shift lever. I had to dig through some other forums to see what guys who own other makes are running. The mazda forums seem to be a good resource for this, since their shifters share the same thread pattern. They also don't seem to go for the giant dildo shifters like a lot of the nissan guys seem to be into.

Last edited:

turbowop

FAwk. I just sold a brand new 2g knob for $20 shipped. I paid like $25 shipped for the thing years ago and didn't think they were worth much. Oops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I run a stock knob on 503 and an old delrin DSG knob on 1051.

turbofonz

Evo knob's by far my favorite.

DynastyLCD

im with Fonz. just put an Evo shift knob in my 1g. nice fit, OEM look.

there was an inch gap or so between the knob and where the leather boot ended. simple fix for this: take a rubber shifter base bushing, push out the small round insert, remove leather, place rubber insert under threaded part of shift lever, re-install leather boot use shift knob to sandwich the two, no more gap.

JNR

As for oem, I really like the new CTS-V suede knob, although makes me wonder how long it'd last, plus it's 6-speed markings. also, not so sure it's even threaded, but anything can be modified to wrok nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSMGVR4

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Quoting tyeler18:

If it's this one, and you won't sell it to me, i loathe you.
greddy_shift.gif

I can't find one FS anywhere. I'm giving up trying to find one.

Quoting kartorium:

Wrong threads. I'd have to change something for this to fit properly. Hondas use a 10x1.5 thread. Mitsu uses a 10x1.25

I have one of those GREX shifters...middle one. Came off a 2G. Not sure if I will keep it as I don't have any manual cars at the moment. How much is it worth???

Last edited:

kartorium

Quoting mitsuturbo:

Quoting kartorium:

IIRC I re-threaded the shifter. Might have been after a small cut down as well.... It's been so long I can't even remember /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just know I still like it.

Shifter boot was some sort of honda freebie too, it's not great, but I haven't disliked it enough to change it yet. Shifter is a mofugas unit with metal bushings cept for on the trans (again IIRC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ). Anyway, I like the way it feels.

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

Heres one from an Out Lander Sport it looks much better in person. click

Last edited:

xaisomboun

I have a Mishimoto weighted shift knob. Was planning to get a short shifter with this because its quite the throw. But overall, I love pistol-grip type knobs over ball ones, just a personal preference.

boostin4door

Iv'e had the AMS knob w/a 1g shifter for about 3yrs and LOVE IT!!
Perfect height[not too low] & the weather doesnt affect it.

amsshiftknob.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts