The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1991 vr4 1810/2000 400hp budget build

tsijohn333

Well i picked up a 91 vr4. It needed a little cleaning up to do so after a few days of cleaning some parts here what i habe accomplished so far.

Added a momo steering wheel that has vr4 sketched on it.

Before

After... Added a strut bar, powder coated my valve cover with my new powder coating machine and just today added a non cruise cable.

Also added a rear strut bar =)

Last edited:

tsijohn333

Cleaned up all the gauges and cd player and put the center all back together. Also added a greddy ebc =)

Fixed the exhaust! It wad being held on my clamps and got it welded instead!

Last edited:

tsijohn333

Thanks man! Doesnt look like much but ive had a lot of time put in it considering ive only owned it for a week lol.

LIV4PSI

Yay, an intro thread that involves a daily driven GVR4. Welcome!

GSX_TC

Nice progress, keep up the good work and don't ever give up on her.

tsijohn333

Ill never neglect her! This is my baby! Today ill be taking out the carpet washing it and dying it black. Ill take some pics in a few.

Okayplayer

I like what you have going on there. If you are going for the clean look, you could run that new non-cruise cable under the intake manifold. Just use some zip ties to keep it away from heat sources and rotating assemblies. And no sharp bends. It works well for me, and cleans up the bay nicely.

tsijohn333

hmmm! i like that idea! im gonna go ahead and do that tomorrow! andkinda off topic but what do i do with the vaccum lines coming off the thermostat housing? i wanna run an emmissions delete and clean up a lot of the vaccumm lines but this is different than my 2g lol. could someone help me out with this!

Dark_Horse

Is your BOV recirculated? It looks like it is in the 1st pic of the engine bay, and in the 2nd, it looks like you capped off the return line.

DynastyLCD

Quoting tsijohn333:
hmmm! i like that idea! im gonna go ahead and do that tomorrow! andkinda off topic but what do i do with the vaccum lines coming off the thermostat housing? i wanna run an emmissions delete and clean up a lot of the vaccumm lines but this is different than my 2g lol. could someone help me out with this!

take your vacuum lines from the throttle body all off, loop them so that all 4 ports are closed.

remove all associated vacuum lines from those 4 ports entirely, including the thermostat housing ones. just take them all out of the equation.

the BOV line stays the way it is.

the small vacuum line to the right of the BOV. take that line out, cut it to go directly to the FPR.

now you have eliminated all emissions and extra vacuum lines. for a good picture click me

edit: i disagree with one thing; if you have a boost source coming from the lower IC pipe, i would rather use that for the wastegate/MBC than tee off the BOV line.

Last edited:

tsijohn333

Quoting Dark_Horse:
Is your BOV recirculated? It looks like it is in the 1st pic of the engine bay, and in the 2nd, it looks like you capped off the return line.

i had to cap it off because the recirc hose was home made and leaking like crazy! that was the only way for me to get it running right. ill be getting a maft translator soon though to accommodate for it.

tsijohn333

new aetomotive afpr! got rid of my b&m frp! also started cleaning all th dirt in the engine bay!

also added a hks oil cap =)

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Why the f*** are all (edit: half) your pics sideways? Straighten that sh*t out before you upload them.

Yeesh!

Other than that, it's looking pretty good. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

tsijohn333

im sorry for the sideways pics. its just how my phone uploads them sometimes. i dont have a computer at the momentso im sorry for the hassle.

tsijohn333

my old fan melted and sh*t to bed on me. time to upgrade!

new slim fan! =)

mmmmmmm! new installed slim fan! wired her up and shes working like a charm!

tsijohn333

i was also getting a very slow spool on an evo iii 16g. i was hitting full boost at 5600 rpms. so i decided to check the wastegate. come to find out that the flapper was slightly open.

nothing a few washers shimmed in cant take care of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

now shes boosting like she should!

Last edited:

tsijohn333

Well after collecting parts for awhile now its time to show them off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SBR GT12 57trim dual ball bearing, evo III mani, SLS 38mm external o2 housing dumped to the atmosphere and a tial 38mm wastegate. Time to install this bad boy!

Fitment was kinda am issue. I had to dent the water pipe a bit and the wastwgate is ever so slighty pushing on the radiator. I had to clock the compressor housing and get a 90 degree reducer coupler for the turbo to ic pipe.

After fixing some boosting issues after everything installed, my reaction is wow. At 11 psi it pulls a little bit harder than my evo iii turbo at 16 psi. I wasnt to impressed at first but at 20 psi is where the fun is at. 20 psi is where i think is the turbos sweet spot is and just pulls like crazy! Im fully spooled by 3700 rpms and this turbo just transforms into a monster at 18psi +

Next step is my intake mani which is going on sunday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts