The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

High Oil Pressure bad for turbo?

Specter

So guys the thing is that after eliminating the balance shafts during my engine rebuild, i am having very high oil pressure. The oil pressure gauge pegs at 100psi when the car goes above 3000rpm on full throttle. At cold its around 80psi, at warmup its around 20psi, but at full throttle the gauge pegs to full 100psi. My stock td04 turbo has been blown, i think this high oil pressure is the reason. I didnt play with the relief valve in the oil filter housing yet.

Now i am getting an evo 8 turbo with its manifold free of cost from a friend, but i am afraid that this turbo might get blown too due to too high oil pressure.

The reading for the gauge is being taken from the oil filter housing. I have not counter-checked the reading with another good known oil pressure gauge.

So my basic question is that do journal bearing turbos blow due to too high oil pressure?

ktmrider

"PLAY" with the pressure relief valve first thing.

Yes JB turbo seals can have oil push past them, thus why there are numerous threads telling you to "PLAY" with the OPRV.

And BTW what machine shop is modifying the EVO8 manifold to fit on your 180 rotated engine?

Last edited:

Specter

Thank you for the swift response. I guess i should "Play" with the OPRV this weekend before even thinking of putting that turbo on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We are looking forward to make an adapter between the manifold and the turbo which will rotate the turbo 180 degree and retain its twin scroll smooth path flow.

Last edited:

RedTwo

You could look at an oil pressure gauge with more range, 100psi is not enough. You'll easily be hitting ~120psi at full throttle.

Specter

^Yes perhaps..and it could be more than that too. I dont drive the car around much, nor do i take it to 5,000+ rpms. But as it needs to be corrected, i am looking forward to try it this weekened.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts