The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What a good short shifter?

Nabeel

What a good short shifter? there are some on ebay. JZN little expensive. Any idea where to look for a good one?

I just use the 91+ 1G shifter/base. I ran one with my 92 GS with no ill effects and currently have one on my 91 GSX.

Last edited by a moderator:

asmo

yup what he said the 1g ones about 2.5 inches shorter. I love mine.

Nabeel

I feel like I am driving a truck. The stock shifter is long. But is the 1g shifter will help shifting faster? Or it is same if I just shortened the gvr4 one?

mikus

it's just shortened height, the shift throw is the same. That's why some aftermarket ones are pricey, they are modified to be truly shorter throw.

I like a 1G shifter myself

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have a 1g and shift boot available if you are interested.

mitsuturbo

You can modify a 3000gt shift lever to fit a gvr4 properly, and the shifter throw ends up being VERY short. I got the idea from Whoodoo, after seeing his. I believe he did a write-up on it and posted here on the forum. I did mine slightly differently than he did, and i believe we both did make use of a welder to get the job done. I think he had the added benefit of having a lathe available, so he made his own bushings as well (not required).

Simply putting a 1g short shifter assembly onto your GVR4 shifter base makes for a substantially shorter throw. They can be had on ebay for next to nothing. I ran one in 1411 for a very long time.

GSX_TC

I have a 1g DSM one in mine and I love it. In fact it's the last shifter base I'll ever buy.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I've never changed the base. Just the arms. I think the 1g short shifter can be had for cheaper than most want for a 1g shifter and base setup.

gvr4ever

I think I just changed the arm on mine too.

While it might not technically be a shorter throw, it gives a much sportier feeling. The arm position is lower and seems give legitimate faster, easier shifts.

turbowop

I have an old Mofugas in 503, which I think is the same as the JNZ unit. And a 1g in 1051. I think I'm gonna switch them. The Mofugas has a much shorter throw. The DSM may be physically shorter, but the throw is the same as stock. I don't really like it other than it lowering the position of the shift knob.

TomN

I had the JNZ short throw shifter in my old Galant. It is a very nice shifter and is a shorter throw than just a 1g shifter. Make sure you use bump stops on the shifter set properly on it though as you can easily over shift the car and break a shift fork.

mitsuturbo

One of the benefits i see to having an actual "short shifter" setup, is that since the part above the fulcrum is so short, and the part below is so long, this makes for a LOT less potential strain for the shift cables, rails, forks and sliders. A 1g dsm short shifter accomplishes this pretty well.

click

That's the route i took, but without the machining of new parts. Rather than make a new pin for the lower portion, i extracted the one from the factory GVR4 arm, and welded it in place on the 3kgt arm, after removing the one that was originally there. I don't really remember what i did in place of the custom bushings Whoodoo used, but it ended up being fine. I figured out some way to have the factory bushings work. It's not some sloppy mess, either.

This is a VERY much shorter throw than factory, and even quite a bit shorter than a 1g dsm short shifter.

Nabeel

The 3000gt shift lever seems nice. But It could be hard to find.

Nabeel

And is that shifter from the FWD 3000gt or the AWD?

dustyduff

I had a dogbox racing modified short shifter on 1g. Kept it to install in the VR4. I'll have to see if I have some pictures. The modified shifter had "stop blocks" welded onto it so you can adjust the throw to prevent braking shift forks. Dogbox is out of business now, but if you can weld, it shouldn't bee too difficult. It used two bolts (front and back) on te stop blocks to adjust the throw.

I was able to get all the bushings from JNZ to rebuild it.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting Nabeel:
And is that shifter from the FWD 3000gt or the AWD?

I'm not sure there's a difference. There may not be a significant enough difference to matter.
Maybe if you PM whoodoo, he can tell you. I simply don't remember.

Nabeel

I sent a PM to whoodoo. I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif JNZ shifter is a modified 3000gt shifter. By looking at whoodoo's thread & compare the photo with THIS ONE

They seems the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

mitsuturbo

That JNZ short shifter does look exactly like a 3k shifter. I think Whoodoo and i just cut ours down a bit shorter on the top side, maybe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts