The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#423/2000 New owner, New home, New State!

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that number 423/2000 has a new owner! The car is now in Stroudsburg Pa. just posting this up for my friend and I'll be helping him to restore this car and keep it in running order. Plans are to be daily driven and enjoy it on the weekends.

We have some minor wiring ahead of us and some tuning to go through and to fix some of the floor rot/rust under the driver side, rockers, and bottom of the doors. This car has sparked some of my interest to contemplate finding one for myself. There seems to be somewhat of a populated amount of galants in the tri-sta area. I'll see where the money takes me. right now I'm just window shopping and helping a friend and hoping to make some more friends along the way.

I found 2 previous owners of the car on here but no luck yet in contacting them. Does Anyone have any knowledge on #423? we have begun some work on the car and we are slowly finding out more about the car, More then what the previous owner led us to believe. It seems like we are making out more on our end. It was supposed to be "stock" we have found arp studs/ metal gasket/ built head (springs retainers, cams) 16g turbo in 14b turbine housing. evo injectors. dsmlink was never touched. seems to have a rebuilt throttle body. ( no leaks)

GSX_TC

Congrats on your new VR4. Post some pics of it.

Again, this is my friends car. Im helping him do the work to get the car in top shape. Sorry for the quality/ lack of pictures. I'll get more pictures as soon as I can.

Vr4junkie

Quoting bleedingsilver:
I found 2 previous owners of the car on here but no luck yet in contacting them. Does Anyone have any knowledge on #423? we have begun some work on the car and we are slowly finding out more about the car, More then what the previous owner led us to believe. It seems like we are making out more on our end. It was supposed to be "stock" we have found arp studs/ metal gasket/ built head (springs retainers, cams) 16g turbo in 14b turbine housing. evo injectors. dsmlink was never touched. seems to have a rebuilt throttle body. ( no leaks)

That's freaking awesome thinking you bought the car stock and it has some goodies already done to it

Update on 423

Found a hose from napa to make the blow off valve recirculate again and also found that the Greddy valve thats on the car uses a 1" water pipe threaded inlet. So We found a small piece ofwater pipe and threaded it into the valve. Found a random curved hose at Napa and made it look almost factory. Also removed the a/c lines and condenser that for whatever reason was never taken out previously. The car had a blown brake line in the l/r next to the fuel lines. So we cut out the bad section and replaced it. Went to bleed the brakes and got a good look at the brake hoses and found another upgrade, The car has Steel braided brake hoses all around and a braided clutch line. All the bleeders surprisingly opened and now the car stops on a dime. Did some tuning last night on a low 10 psi just to get some things in line and dsmlink is estimating about 200-230 hp throughout the power band. Car feels solid and fun. In a couple weeks the dsmlink will be upgraded to v3 and the rust will be tackled. Also repaired wiring to the 2g maf and tidied up the wiring for it. Looked up the numbers on the turbo and found out it is infact an evo3 16g but the turbine housing does not have the same flange as the newer housing so im assuming its either a 14b housing or an old school heavier 16g housing.

StreetThisVR4

Hey guys,

#423/2000 was my first car. I bought it from an older couple (original owners) when I was 15. It came with the window sticker and all paperwork including the keychain badge (I gave it to the next owner). Bleedingsilver PM'ed me a while back and told me about the car's present state. Here is a copy-paste of the same PM I sent him back with everything I know about the car (basically its life story):

Hey Casey,

Im Alan. Sorry it took so long to reply, Ive been pretty busy these past couple weeks. Ill try to give you as much info on the car as I can.

I bought #423 for $1600 when I was just 15 years old, (before I had my license) and it was my first car. I bought it from an older couple who had dailied it all its life. It had 111k on it and was BONE STOCK. Absolutely virgin. It was running horribly when I got it, but luckily Ive been around car guys all my life so they were able to help me out. If you go on youtube and search for StreetThisEVO thats my older brother Chris. (9.40s @ 155ish)

I replaced the nasty smelling ECU (burnt caps) with a 91 AWD Talon ECU and it ran alot better. After doing basic tune up stuff (plugs, wires, fluids, filters ect) I bought an ApexI N1 3" downpipe and had the 3" catback made at a local muffler shop. I had a Catco 3" cat on it to pass emmisions, then I gutted it. Then came an intake and MBC, Evo3 exhaust mani, 122performance 02 dump, gauges, blah blah blah. Stock clutch quickly hazed under the new found torque, so I put in an ACT 2100 and a 1g shifter and boot. Replaced a couple CV axles and suspension bits but it was all stock replacement stuff. Repainted the window trim, fixed some body rust (front lip of hood) and generally gave it all the TLC I could. FWIW, the underside of the car was pretty damn rusty. I did what I could, but nothing ever broke so I didnt care haha.

I drove the car like that all the way through high school and whooped on all the mustangs and camaros I could find. After 2.5 years of daily duty, (and weekly drag strip trips where it ran 13.90s pretty consistent), I was coming up on a stop sign and downshifted to 2nd. As soon as I blipped the throttle and let the clutch out, one of the lifters collapsed randomly and jammed the rocker arm sideways against the exhaust cam. Bunch of bent valves, you know the drill. So off came the head.

I purchased a "known good" cylinder head from a member and it arrived with broken studs and cam gear; it was just a mess. I got my money back and (regretfully) my parents made me sell the Galant to get something more reliable. (I was only 18 and still living at home).

I put it up for sale on the boards and a guy name Kevin from New York came with a trailer and bought it for $1500 with the busted ass head. I cant recall his screen name unfortunately. He got it up and running, did the 5 lug swap and lowering springs, 2g maf and link, and all other mods I didnt mention haha (I assume). I didnt hear a thing about #423 for 5 or 6 years until you PM'ed me. Maybe it changed owners before you got it, im not sure.

Sorry for the long read, just trying to give you all the info I know about it. After owning 4 turbo 1G's, a Volvo 850 turbo, and an Evo 8 RS, I'll tell you it was still my favorite car of all time and I really miss the sh*t out of it. Had so much fun in that thing. It was an awesome learning experience and I'll always be able to one-up people on first car stories /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Any pictures you have would be GREATLY appreciated. Good luck with it,

-Alan

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned