The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why do you love this car?

I guess I'm trying to justify all the issues and purchases I've had/made since I've had this car 4 months and 400 miles ago.

I think that it has great potential and is a good balance between performance and luxury. I have owned a couple E36 Bimmers and think that the GVR4 beats them in most areas, one exception is low end power. The I6 Bimmer engines are quite awesome. I also really enjoyed the BMW helical differential. But that's about it. The GVR4 is quieter, the leather is softer, the ride is nicer, more headroom all around, this list goes on. The E36 is as close a car I've owned that I can compare the GVR4 to...

So why do ya'll love this car?

ktmrider

1. Unique/rare
2. Major stealth
3. Lots of mod potential
4. Tons of drivetrain parts available
5. 4G63T
6. AWD
7. Relatively easy to work on

Hondasi88

just different! I was tired and owned every 90's honda so the galant was a change. Plus....don't tell anyone but the vr4 reminds me of the 90-93 accord which i still kinda love.

thecman02

My favorite part is the WTF looks I get at gas stations and car meets, or the random people that actually know what it is and give me complements.

grocery_getter

Quote:
I guess I'm trying to justify all the issues and purchases I've had/made since I've had this car 4 months and 400 miles ago.

Why did you buy a GVR4 in the first place?

GVR47111K

Quoting ktmrider:
1. Unique/rare
2. Major stealth
3. Lots of mod potential
5. 4G63T
6. AWD

+1

Also, I originally fell in love with 1G DSMs as my next door neighbor had one while I was growing up. I can specifically remember him wrenching on it and then going for a test drive, I heard the BOV and thought is was the coolest sounding sh*t ever! Someone said it sounded like he was throwing trash out the window but I thought otherwise. That guy had a little brother who was closer to me in age and we hung out sometimes. One day the little brother told me how his older brother would overtake cars on the highway in the breakdown lane. I thought that that was just insane and it only made my love for the 4G63 grow. The older brother also just had other cool sh*t he worked on all the time. He had a late '90s Ninja that was super bad ass. He painted it about 3 times while they lived next door and he layed it down once from what I think was the rear arms being extended, IIRC. He had a '63 Impala, 4 on the floor, an old Chevy Luv with a 350 small block in it, a huge ass Chevy 2500. Then of course he had friends over all the time with Chevy Cavilers, Honda Hatches, and his ladyfriend had a tiburon. I'm pretty sure he still has that 2500 and it's still kick ass and then some.

Well, that was a super round-about way of telling you that I love the Galant VR4 because of a guy with a DSM but that's basically it. When I found out that I could essentially own a DSM from Japan with 4 doors, I jumped on the idea.

ducttapeguy

They have souls. Each one is different, but the same. Every time mine runs I drive the everliving sh*t out of it and I have a stupid grin on my face the whole time. Then it gets mad at me and breaks again. My Galant is like a good friend, there for the good and the bad.

Jason G.

Quoting GVR47111K:
When I found out that I could essentially own a DSM from Japan with 4 doors, ...

You had to go there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

transparentdsm

well the way i see it is i can come up to a VET and play because my old little sh*t-box can run/ if not beat his 80,000$ new big sh*t-box, not to mention the look on the 45 year old guys face when he sees ya doing it in a early 90's 4 door .. that can fit 5 people and all our luggage in my car while doing it.. that's priceless.

i had a roommate that had a supercharged E36 M3, he paid 4 times what i paid for my VR4 and his car was nothing but a problem for him and he was constantly jealous of my VR4...

LIV4PSI

Because Galant VR4s are f*cking classy

SleepinGVR4

Quoting grocery_getter:
Quote:

The way I look at it is... I have 2 choices, put money into the galant from time to time, or a $350 a month car payment.

Quoting grocery_getter:
Quote:

I've never owned an AWD car. And I like rare cars. I'm working on the ultimate garage. At the time I had an E36 BMW (sedan, 5spd), Toyota Pickup (parts/bike hauler), and a Honda F4i (motorcycle/track bike), but they're all toys, lol. I'm also considering a Subaru Impreza wagon (for when you need to haul something that requires cover). Fun to drive purpose vehicles is what I love.

Quoting 1971:
So why do ya'll love this car?

I don't.

Quoting ktmrider:

1. Unique/rare
2. Major stealth
3. Lots of mod potential
5. 4G63T
6. AWD

I happened to come across my VR4 in ultra FUBAR'd condition for only 300 bucks.

I have since spent a small fortune on repairing and rebuilding it.

It happened to come with 4G63T, that's why I bought it. If it would've been a DSM, or a swapped CSM, I still would have bought it. The body that my $300 4G63T came with was only a bonus. I have never really been into cars because of how they looked. I have always been more interested in how they performed, or the potential they posess.

4thStroke

Character. Nothing about this car made sense.

Years later, people still don't get it. It will always be an uphill battle, but only the few of us will really understand what makes this car what it is.

IncorpoRatedX

because it's reliable, comfortable, quiet and low key.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts