The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help me choose my strut spring/ coilovers!

I'm really liking the reviews of the BC coils. I want a nice ride, I have a long drive to and from work 6 days a week and comfort is important. The 8/6 and the softest setting sounds like it would work well for me. I don't like hearing that there is a "boing" from the rear from time to time, but it sounds acceptable. I like that there will be nothing more needed to buy (ie: mounts, strut sleeves). I hear that they come set for a 2in drop. Can that be raised? I know, why go coils if you don't want low. Well, my exhaust is ridiculously low, I don't know how you guys go so low, it looks to be a standard 3in cat-back, but it's like 3in off the ground and it's almost touching the diff, so I don't know how I can tuck it up. It's a thermal exhaust. I would be happy making the car level. I don't know what's on it now, but the front springs are red and the rear are black, I can't see any letters on them. The front is 1.5in lower.

Ground control is something else I am looking at. A little softer at 350 and 250, but I will need to get struts, mounts, and sleeves. Seems like the BC coils are worth it right there, plus dialing in damping and ride height. So long as I'm not limited to any less than a 2in drop.

I'm steering away from a spring/strut setup because I really enjoy dialing in my ride height, but I haven't found much details. The H&R is specific to our cars I see at 1.3/1.4in drop. That sounds like it would be fine for me, but I don't know the spring rates. I also don't know how a stock GVR4 should sit, as I don't know what springs are on my car now. Is the rear a bit higher, or is it equal?

I also don't know any details of the evo 8/9 setup, but I understand that it requires some modification and rides nice. How low does it lower?

dmj

I recommend getting the BC coilovers. Ride is firm but not harsh . I have no noise problems .When I got mine I adjusted the collars to make sure the springs were snug. They felt somewhat loose from the manufacturer.

Thanks for your input! I have a couple more days until enough money transfers to my paypal for them. Anyone else have input for me?

I was thinking of running a 7/5 instead of the 8/6 they come with, Midwest roads suck. Any downsides you might see to this?

I wouldn't go lower on the spring rates. I just added some BC racing coilovers 10\6 to my other DD my 95 accord. What I have found so far is that at zero adjustment to the front and rear the car rides almost stock albeit quite lower than stock way lower than I would or could go on thegvr4. Anywhere past half way adjustment it does get a lot stiffer and but more bouncy. If I had to do it again I would have gone with 12\10 and leave the fine adjustments at zero.The honda is a bit heavier than the galant so I would just go with the 8\6 kit or some 10\8....

Thanks! Am I right thinking I won't have to buy anything for these? mounts, etc

8/6 ordered! Two week wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for your help!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned