The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant Monte Carlo for sale

crimsondragon

What's the difference between a regular VR4 and Monte? I recognize the auto shifter. 2Gs had the same one.

GSX_TC

It's soo beautiful, I can't believe it only cost that much. Were the Monte Carlo editions AWD?

Diego

It said in the ad that it was AWD, and 4WS.

I didn't know it was turbo'd though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

MX4

Interesting, I thought Monte Carlos were all "Evo Zero" spec with vented bonnets, 510s, 4 bolt etc etc.

raptorWagon

Quoting Diego:
It said in the ad that it was AWD, and 4WS.

I didn't know it was turbo'd though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Why not? The Monte Carlo Editions were VR-4s too.

Base model VR-4s like ours, Monte Carlo Edition, RS, Face lift RS, Evo spec, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diego

I never knew. Thought the Monte was just like the AMG.

fuel

Quoting MX4:
Interesting, I thought Monte Carlos were all "Evo Zero" spec with vented bonnets, 510s, 4 bolt etc etc.

Only the 5 speed manuals. You can still get automatic Monte Carlos which are the same spec as regular automatic facelift VR-4, ie 450cc injectors, TD04 turbo, 3.307 driveline etc.

Olson

only about 5k $ US ... not far from me either...hmmmmmm

fuel

shame it's automatic - they aren't the strongest (in factory form at least) transmission in the world.

JNR

so, it's a plain jane VR-4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif (cloth seats and ugh, automatic) guess I don't see the appeal in it then.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting fuel:
shame it's automatic - they aren't the strongest (in factory form at least) transmission in the world.

wtf are you talking about?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not in the world, but pretty freaking strong.

curtis

Rumor had it on here from a Russian member that owned one they had a different front to rear spit. Instead of 50/50 was 35/65.

Not positive but if it did I'd like to have the center diff but would also like to have a JDM front 3.307 front ring and pinion as well for the 5 speed box.

fuel

Quoting JNR:
so, it's a plain jane VR-4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif (cloth seats and ugh, automatic) guess I don't see the appeal in it then.

Mechanically speaking it's an ordinary facelift JDM automatic VR-4 (which even with the smaller TD04 makes 210PS, nearly 15hp more than a USDM VR-4!) but being a Monte Carlo edition it's produced in limited numbers, always in Lamp Black (it is NOT Nile Black), always has a sun-roof, missing the fender marker lamps, body coloured rims (which remember is not a usual feature for stock JDM rims) and of course the Monte Carlo 'Spirit of Competition' sticker on the rear doors. If it were a 5 speed manual it would be Evolution spec and therefore would be sporting the big16g turbo, hood + bonnet vents, 510cc injectors, larger intercooler&piping, 3.909 ratio 4 bolt with LSD, close ratio transmission etc. I'm pretty sure you can option the Monte Carlo with the same black leather interior as a Super VR-4 (which has different head rests to the USDM VR-4s).

fuel

Quoting curtis:
Rumor had it on here from a Russian member that owned one they had a different front to rear spit. Instead of 50/50 was 35/65.

Not positive but if it did I'd like to have the center diff but would also like to have a JDM front 3.307 front ring and pinion as well for the 5 speed box.

Uhmm it's 3.307 because it's an AUTOMATIC, just like the AUTOMATIC 1G DSM. The 5 speed manual Monte Carlo will be 3.909 ratios and they definitely didn't have a 35/65 torque split from factory - perhaps it was fitted with a Cusco Tarmac center diff just after it left the factory?

fuel

Quoting Alpha Male:
Quoting fuel:

wtf are you talking about?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Just like any other Mitsubishi automatic from the same era they don't like HEAT and definitely don't like going too long between fluid changes. Unfortunately the stock transmission cooler in the radiator was not up to the task and many did die prematurely, often combined with a lack of fluid changes. Trust me, being in a country which saw many automatic E39A VR-4s on our roads I can tell you the automatics were NOT as reliable as the manuals. However if you fit a substantially sized aftermarket transmission cooler on, and replace the fluid at frequent intervals it can prolong the life of the transmission.

beaner

Quoting JNR:

+1 I'd take an equal condition USDM vr4 over that any day.

citymunky

Quoting fuel:
Quoting Alpha Male:
Quoting fuel:

Just like any other Mitsubishi automatic from the same era they don't like HEAT and definitely don't like going too long between fluid changes. Unfortunately the stock transmission cooler in the radiator was not up to the task and many did die prematurely, often combined with a lack of fluid changes. Trust me, being in a country which saw many automatic E39A VR-4s on our roads I can tell you the automatics were NOT as reliable as the manuals. However if you fit a substantially sized aftermarket transmission cooler on, and replace the fluid at frequent intervals it can prolong the life of the transmission.

How do you know so much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts