The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

474/1000 1/4 mile runs 1/22/12

matt92vr4

I was able to attend the IFO in Bradenton, FL today. I ran the car a couple months ago bone stock at 15.7@86. Since then I gutted the cat and installed a MBC. Here are the two runs from today:

Run1
r/t .256
60' 2.111
330 6.052
1/8 [email protected]
1000 12.187
1/4 [email protected]

Run2
r/t .116
60' 2.183
330 6.076
1/8 [email protected]
1000 12.163
1/4 [email protected]

Boost was 16-17psi. Launched at about 5k. My goal for today was a 14.6 so I'm pretty happy. Next up is fuel pump, ECMLink (speed density), exhaust, FMIC, 16G, 1000cc injectors, and a clutch lol. I don't think the stock clutch is going to be happy for much longer. Loving the Galant!

gvr4ever

16-17psi? I hope you had some race fuel in the tank. How did you not over run the MAF?

matt92vr4

I've been running this boost for a while. When I bought the car the wastegate hoses had a big hole in it. The old owner says it was like that for 8 years. It was running 20psi with the wastegate hose burnt.

I did add a gallon of 110 to make me feel a little better. I'm not sure about the MAF. Does not seem to be a problem.

gvr4ever

Interesting. I suspect that your car isn't stock, but hey if it ain't broke....

matt92vr4

Anything is possible. I won't know until I tear things down and see them with my own eyes. I did buy it from the original owner who is older, said it was never modified (didn't even know such a thing was possible), and was very apologetic that the power antenna was not original. Ordered Link this morning. I'll let you know if I find any surprises lol.

turbofonz

Not bad. That MPH suggests some better driving can be done.. my Galant's first passes out where 13.7@94mph range.

It'll be much more fun with the planned mods, for sure!

matt92vr4

Yeah I should be able to cut some better 60 foots. I was taking it a little easy on the old girl. She has to bus the kids to school all week.

What 60's were you cutting when you trapped 94?

gvr4ever

Fix the wastegate leaks too if you haven't already. Higher boost with a stock IC doesn't do a whole lot, and it can even slow you down if the intake temps get too hot. The stock IC heat soaks so easily too. Back in the day I didn't run more then 14-15psi with a rewired fuel pump and I didn't turn it up past that till I upgraded my injectors and fuel pump. With the stock MAF, I could hit fuel cut on a cool day at 15psi.

Like I said though, I kinda suspect that you might already have some mods. 17-20psi on a stock fuel system... I thought those were piston frying levels.

turbofonz

Quoting matt92vr4:
What 60's were you cutting when you trapped 94?

Low 1.8's. This was on 245/40/17" tires though. If you're running stock sized tires I don't know how much traction you'll be able to keep lol.

This was with a turboback, ACT2600 and ecmlink. not a whole lot else, just little stuff. similar boost pressure.

Stock clutch though, taking it easy is smart.

matt92vr4

ECMlink will be here in 2 days. Unfortunately it will probably take me the rest of the year to install it! My goal for 2012 was to run 14's and drive the kids to school everyday. I'm going to collect a bunch of parts before I go any further. She needs a little loving before I start to push ahead.

Wizardawd

Technically smaller rim size is better for drag racing. More sidewall give gives you a bit better bite/contact patch, etc.

1.8 60 fts on a stock clutch are pretty good. Upgraded clutch you should get into the 1.6-1.7x 60s on street tires.

14s is very easy. Heck, low 13s and still be daily is quite easy.

Exhaust, MBC (or even modded BCS), upgraded clutch and FMIC or at least upgraded intercooler of some sort, rewired and/or upgraded fuel pump, race gas, 20psi, advance timing to 10BTDC and run mid to high 12s all day long. 13s if you are easy on it.

Wiz

matt92vr4

That sounds good. I just gotta take some time and do the 60k, balance shafts, head studs, gasket, etc. I know I will need a new clutch soon if I keep launching at 5k.

My exhaust is bad. The stock muffler fell off at some point and it looks like they welded on a 2" muffler to replace it. What is a good downpipe to use that will eventually bolt up to a 16g/evo3 o2 housing? Can I use the same one for the stock 14b housing?

I have the pump but my fuel sending unit too rusty to remove until I have a replacement.

When will I need to do ARP head studs and gasket? Before mid 12's with the mods you listed? Thanks!

holeshotmoe

Stock DP won't fit EVO3 O2 housing. It has a larger bolt pattern and is angled differently
PHOTO

Jason G.

Quoting matt92vr4:

When will I need to do ARP head studs and gasket? Before mid 12's with the mods you listed? Thanks!

Stock ones will be fine.

matt92vr4

Thanks for you help guys. Keep the suggestions rolling in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matt92vr4

ECMLink arrived today with the MAP and IAT sensors! Is anyone else running a "stock" car on ECMLink and SD? Everytime I use to install an AEM on a 3S it would put down an extra 50AWHP with nothing else changed. I wonder what kind of numbers a GVR4 can get?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned