The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MHI Big 16g

maxash0775

I have been searching big 16g turbos lately and came across a message from Road Race Engineering. I dont remember seeing it there a short while back when looking up turbos. It says that their cost, cost for MHI Big 16g is now over $1000!! They are pretty much telling you that it is not worth the cost (love there honesty). Then I came across this, and it seems to good to be true. I just texted him to see if still available. click

He also has a 2 g manifold, should i get it.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Last edited:

maxash0775

Also, what is the difference in the tod5h 49178-01420- Big 16g and the tdo5h49178-01470- Evo 3 16 g. I have the option for either since I have found 2 craigslist adds.

DDM

350$ is not that great to tell you the truth. I bought one with blown seals for 100$ and got it rebuilt for 130$ here locally. let me know if you need that. I got a guy here that does an amazing job with top notch parts and ports the housing for another 30$. Evo 3 16g has the best flow rate. I dont know the exact specs why but i can tell you the evo 3 is the best. Also when you install it i highly recommend you run an oil line from the back by the oil filter. If you use the oem oil line the turbo doesn't get enough for some reason. I give you a year before the turbo start developing play.

maxash0775

Thanks for the input. The evo 3 is $250 used and would rebuild that just because of the unknown before installing it.

Brunoboy

Quoting DDM:
350$ is not that great to tell you the truth. I bought one with blown seals for 100$ and got it rebuilt for 130$ here locally. let me know if you need that. I got a guy here that does an amazing job with top notch parts and ports the housing for another 30$. Evo 3 16g has the best flow rate. I dont know the exact specs why but i can tell you the evo 3 is the best. Also when you install it i highly recommend you run an oil line from the back by the oil filter. If you use the oem oil line the turbo doesn't get enough for some reason. I give you a year before the turbo start developing play.

I don't know where this info came from but I disagree. I have bought and sold big16gs for $300 plus shipping. I now run a evo3GT 16g with a ported housing. Evo3 is the best of the three. They have been ran up to 450awhp with dyno charts on dsmtuners. I run mine from the stock port on the head with a ss line. Ofh has too much pressure for this turbo. Ask anyone on tuners, if you run a 16g run from the head or Ofh with a online restrictor.
-shane

DDM

Maybe it would work with an ss line, i never tried it but i never had i an issue with the oil filter housing. When i had my 1g i had the 16g rebuilt and it had some very noticeable shaft play with the stock oil feed line. Then i tapped it in the back and never had any issues after the second rebuild.

turbowop

Quoting DDM:
Also when you install it i highly recommend you run an oil line from the back by the oil filter. If you use the oem oil line the turbo doesn't get enough for some reason. I give you a year before the turbo start developing play.

Wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the factory oil feed on any 14b/16g style turbo. I have run several over the years since 1998 and never had an issue, including the one I have in 503 now. Unless you run a turbo specifically designed for more oil flow, like an FPgreen that uses the "monster" thrust bearing, there is no need to run a line from the OFH.

IncorpoRatedX

someone get the beating stick out and put these newbs back in line. misinformation is BAD.

maxash0775

Just to be clear, the better of the 2 is still the big 16g off the evo vs the big 16g regular. Refering to the 2 model numbers i listed in the original post.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

16g off the Evo3 is known as a Evo3 16g. There were no confusions in comparing the two in the original post. Ive had 14bs and 16gs push oil past the seals from running it off the OFH without a restrictor. Ive never had problems running it off the head with all three of my cars.
-Shane

fuel

49178-01420 = JDM Galant VR-4 Evolution TD05-Big 16G with 7cm housing
49178-01450 = EvoI/II Big 16G with 7cm housing, essentially the same as above. Some EvoI's come with the Small 16G.
49178-01470 = EvoIII Big 16G with 7cm housing - has a slightly different style compressor wheel and exhaust housing flows more

DDM

Quoting Alpha Male:
someone get the beating stick out and put these newbs back in line. misinformation is BAD.

Explain to me how that's misinformation? Show me something anywhere where it sais its better to use the stock turbo feed line over a braided from the ofh. i /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif to you because of your post count!

There is a reason why mitsu decided to put the oil feed line on the 2g on the filter housing. I dont care what turbo you run its way better pressure to feed it off there then the head. What am i explaining this to a bunch of kids? Jeez call any performance shop and ask them which is better? Im not saying its necessary. But you should consider it!

Last edited:

raptorWagon

The Evo3 16g used be available for $600, but the effects of the Tsunami and earthquake have finally caught up to us and are now affecting the production of those turbos, which is why the priced jumped that high now.

maxash0775

Follow up question. When they rate the potential HP on these turbos, is that to the motor, or at the wheels. Never really says, dont know if it is implied or Im just a noob.

turbowop

Quoting DDM:

Explain to me how that's misinformation? Show me something anywhere where it sais its better to use the stock turbo feed line over a braided from the ofh.

There is a reason why mitsu decided to put the oil feed line on the 2g on the filter housing. I dont care what turbo you run its way better pressure to feed it off there then the head. What am i explaining this to a bunch of kids? Jeez call any performance shop and ask them which is better? Im not saying its necessary. But you should consider it!

Here we go. Another ASE certified n00b to the forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goyou.gif After reading you say that in a thread about snow tires, I had to laugh.

Considering how many stock turbos lasted hundreds of thousands of miles and only needed new exhaust housings due to cracks, I'd say the oil feed from the head works just fine. Mitsu also put out a lot of motors that crankwalked with the 2g, so I wouldn't say that change is always good.

The only reason anybody should consider runnning a line off the OFH is for some custom application, or if a specific turbo manufacturer requires a higher pressure feed, like the FPgreen/red. It's no better. Both my cars are fed from the head. You wanna tell me I'm doing it wrong? Fack off.

Bunch of kids, eh? I'm 35, own two GVR4's, one of them since '98. This ain't about post count. We're a tight knit community with members that have been here for over a decade. Lots of knowledge and not a lot of bullshit. You won't make many friends here acting the way you are. Just sayin'.

DDM

Quoting turbowop:

Here we go. Another ASE certified n00b to the forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goyou.gif After reading you say that in a thread about snow tires, I had to laugh.

Considering how many stock turbos lasted hundreds of thousands of miles and only needed new exhaust housings due to cracks, I'd say the oil feed from the head works just fine. Mitsu also put out a lot of motors that crankwalked with the 2g, so I wouldn't say that change is always good.

The only reason anybody should consider runnning a line off the OFH is for some custom application, or if a specific turbo manufacturer requires a higher pressure feed, like the FPgreen/red. It's no better. Both my cars are fed from the head. You wanna tell me I'm doing it wrong? Fack off.

Bunch of kids, eh? I'm 35, own two GVR4's, one of them since '98. This ain't about post count. We're a tight knit community with members that have been here for over a decade. Lots of knowledge and not a lot of bullshit. You won't make many friends here acting the way you are. Just sayin'.

Thats a great post considering i wasn't even talking to you but since you added that "fack off" we can argue a little lol. Just cause i recently registered on this forum does not make me a newb to dsms. Whats sad is that a 35 year old man that is just siding with people to make friends on an international forum because you are so convinced you are "doing it right". I never said you were doing it wrong if you read my post. I simply said its better to feed it from OFH. You are acting like its a big ass mod to the car and takes 5 days to complete (well maybe for you). I recommend this to everyone and i have yet see something go wrong with feeding the turbo like that. You sir are just a moron. Just by that "Fack off" i can tell you are a 35 year old with a 12 year olds mind since you cant provide any explanation for anything and just say that you are doing it right.

raptorWagon

Quoting DDM:
Just cause i recently registered on this forum does not make me a newb to dsms.

You may not be new to DSMs, but you are to Galant VR-4s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

DDM

That is true! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But i do work on dsm's alot and i bought my car off a member here and i thought it would be very clean then started ripping it apart and found stuff like this.

2012-01-18123846.jpg

The previous owner must have taken advice from someone with a high post count and listened. I mean how could someone be wrong if they have a high post count. lolololol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts