The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g knob on 1g shifter...won't go straight even with washers

I have a 1g knob on a 1g shifter and boot. No matter what I do with washers I can never get the knob and numbers to face directly straight to the radio. It is always like 30 degrees to the right. What do you all do?

Thanks

Dan D

I put a piece of vacuum hose in between two washers. You can trim the hose to just the right length to tighten down the knob straight.

cheekychimp

^^^ I like the idea of the above and if you are in your house and have access to very basic tools, it sounds like a good bet.

You can however make do with much less! Having sold our house, put my tools in storage and moved permanently into a hotel room, I was faced with the same problem a few months back. I ended up sat in the car in the pouring rain one night, packing pieces of tissue down into the bottom of the shifter head until it tightened at the point it was straight. It's been like that for months without issue, doesn't come loose and can be removed any time I need. I also suspect some long nosed forceps/tweezers would allow me to remove the tissue if I actually ever needed to do it!

Ultimate hack job but it works ... kinda cheap too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JNR

Would there be enough thread to use a jam nut (1/2 thick) all the way down, tighten your knob so it has good amount of thread, then tighten the jam nut up against the knob? Without looking at it, not sure there is enough thread to do this, although IIRC they use fine pitch, so that helps. also, if you're handy, make an aluminum (or whatever) custom thick washer, or cut it from tube.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned