The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

heated seats?

quicktsi

Anybody ever add heat to their factory seats, making them heated seats? I tried searching and could not find any posts about it. I am planning a trip soon to pull a part, to see what I can find on the cheap. I know I could buy a kit from the local leather seat place.

rdomeck

I looked at some kits on eBay that looked ok! Seems like if you go to the trouble to take the seats apart and put them back together ( without breaking any of the 20 year old thread holding the seats together) you should put in something new to make sure you don't have any troubles out of them!

My .02 worth!

dammitjim

I put heated seats in a different car and had really good luck with the kit from here - click From what I've read they supply heated seats to some car manufacturers.

One tip to make the install go easier, cut all the hog rings and reinstall with decent size zip ties. No one will ever see them and they are much easier than dicking around with hog rings.

curtis

Also the rods in the seats are steel. They stitch up loops and run rods in them to keep the seams tight with hog rings. If they're rusty and nasty you can go to any welding supply and get a 1 lb pack of stainless tig rods cheap. As for heaters check the Lexus rows Bimmers Mercedes and also some of the big town cars and Lincolns. Most high end luxury cars have heated seats. All will have 12 volt systems just make sure you pull the relays switches etc whether you need them or not will save you trips to auto zone for dumb stuff that pull a part will give you for free.

Hertz

Staff member
I used some elements from a Merc to heat my front seats. I did not build a thermostat. On until hot, then turn them off. Getting skin off the seats was tricky. I was able to remove one steel bar and clips that seemed to always be a literal pain in the ass. I also took out one set of springs from the seat to make it more of a bucket.

Switches for the seats were mounted on the sides of the arm rest.

It was probably a 4 hour operation. If you drive in cold weather, it's a nice mod for sure.

misterfixit

Heated seats were stock fitment in northern europe.

Try mister wolfy to see if he could liberate a pair. The seat covers are not that bulky once separated from their foam!

Rich

fuel

where were the switches positioned on those models? would love to see a pic of the switches/controls themselves.

DR1665

IPD sells kits for the Volvo 240. $90/seat, but includes switches, wires, and dual elements for the lower cushion and back. If IPD sells it, you can bet it's not crap.

click

nrvous

I just ordered a kit from WarmSeats for the wife's FJ cruiser. Actually from Amazon. I have not installed yet, but will let you know how they work.

It is a trial, because they say they are waterproof and I might get nutty and put a set in the boat for the early waterski season. Switches are nice. Discrete, dual rocker for two heat levels and round so a drilled hole will accomodate.

Stephen

nrvous

I went through the install this weekend. It was the warmseats waterproof heated seat kit. Runs about $85 on the warmseats.com site.
I think it is pretty basic, though I am glad I don't do upholstery work for a living.

To do a car again, I would not get the waterproof version of their heated seats. I think they heat up slow, only because they are incased in a insulated pad already and the heat takes that long to penetrate. The only negative I had was that the cord to the switch was too short, so I ended up adding wire to run the wiring properly.

Stephen

ade

Quoting fuel:
where were the switches positioned on those models? would love to see a pic of the switches/controls themselves.

found this on nullygallant, could the two switches in front the shifter be?
i37899989._szw440h440_.jpg

misterfixit

Those are the ones.

Rich

fuel

I want! along with the EDM dual front/rear fog lamp switch and headlamp level adjustment system!

Last edited:

quicktsi

I went to pull a part today. I was looking for some trunk trim pieces. I forgot about the heated seat project until I had already hit the road, and did not bring the correct tools. I did find a few seats and it appears that it is not going to be as easy as I thought. I even found a car that had an aftermarket set installed in it. The seat was split from dry rot, making it easy to get to the element. It appears the element was either glued down or had fused to the foam over time. The other seat I looked at had the same issue. Pull a part was having a special on seats today, 7.50 a seat.

Turboman_456

I have seen the heat elements on eBay. I considered getting a set I'd need to take the seat to a reupholster to have the units put in I rather have mods luxury items later i.e. tinted windows radio heated seats.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned