The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What's wrong with the stock interior and automatic seatbelts?

Just want opinions on here. I love the stock interior! Mine is in great shape thanks to other members. I have also loved automatic seatbelts since they came out and were discontinued. Seems like most of the world hates them.

I would just like to know why.

Of course these are just my opinions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks

Gabor

I think the auto seat belt is dumb because I'll bet 90% of us who have it don't use the lap belt, and without that you're not really safe.
The seats are comfortable and the interior is nice considering in that era Mitsubishi interiors sucked.
I wish there was a way to add airbags.
Oh and cup holders that can actually can hold two cups or cans.

Ahh, I forgot about the lap belts. I carpool (in a round about way), and I have an individual who always asks about the lap belt. Good call, I'll make sure that I use mine along with my wife. Makes sense, most of us can't be annoyed with the lap belt but that eventually turns into us just completely forgetting about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rdomeck

I like the automatic belts also. I do find myself forgetting to put the lap belt on sometimes and for some reason the seatbelt light only works for the passenger light I think. It's been a month or so since I have driven it, so I really can't remember.

+1 on the cup holders...I will figure out something on this soon, as it is getting cold and there will be a cup of coffee in my lap every morning starting next week once I get my tires mounted.

You guys don't have cupholders or just don't like the cupholders? I have some in my center console. Is that some sort of option that I have?

Gabor

Yeah it's in the center console, but once you hit the brakes a little harder it becomes a cup roller, not a holder.

mountaineerjeff

or need to shift? or turn, or move at all?

I just dont like how heavy it is. 1630+1840 are both perfectly content with the interior. but 181 needs a diet.

for me the auto belt reminds me to put on my lap belt, but maybe thats just me.

minneSNOWta

If you don't use the lap belt, then you are a jabroni. The auto-belt is a nice feature, but it should be reminding you to do your little part for your own safety. The center console cup holder sucks big time. It would be nice to see a custom cup holder made that can accommodate various sizes.

Brunoboy

i wish i had an airbag and had manual seat belts.......the cup holder doesnt do well for me for the way i drive.

cheekychimp

Quoting minneSNOWta:
It would be nice to see a custom cup holder made that can accommodate various sizes.

Like this one in front of the gear stick?

Lol, I seldom drive that hard with drinks so I wouldn't know. Sounds like one of those movies from the 80's where the 16 year old gets their drivers license and spills it on the instructors lap. What was that called? I am getting old enough where I forget...time for geritol!

Quoting Gabor:
Yeah it's in the center console, but once you hit the brakes a little harder it becomes a cup roller, not a holder.

I really like how comfortable the interior is. Has anyone actually sat in your back seat? I did riding home from the bar and holy crap, its freaking comfy.

I am one of the 90% who don't remember the lap belt, I will try to retrain the brain to take the sliding belt as a signal to latch the rest.

The cupholder does suck butt. I usually have a bottled drink though so its not a big deal to just set it on the passenger seat. How many of you REALLY use cans anymore? still, I want to find a b4 Passat cup holder to add to the console for when there is a passenger. They look like this:
folded up
uch1.jpg

unfolded
cup383fgk9.jpg

that or you can get a common ford taurus cup holder and install it in a single-DIN spot:
click

matt92vr4

I love the stock. Interior and auto belts.

maxash0775

I second (or third) the auto seatbelts. I have gotten a seatbelt ticket here in cali in my old car but no fear anymore with my auto seatbelts. Thank you Mitsubishi.

jepherz

Staff member
The intent of the auto seat belts was a movement in the early 90's to make passive restraint systems. Mercedes and other companies came out with airbags, although being too powerful and without a seat belt they would kill you. Other companies came out with auto seat belts, although they realized in the same fashion as airbags, if you didn't have the lap belt on your body would simply slide forward and cut your head off...

I buckle my seatbelt no matter what kind it is automatically, but I do notice that most people who ride in my car attempt to unbuckle themselves when they get out of the car only to realize they didn't fully buckle themselves in.

minneSNOWta

Hey cheeky, where did you get that cupholder? The dash cupholders are pretty cool too. Anyone fab a custom center console cup holder yet?

I have people sit in my back seat and they complain that it is a rough ride. I have asked a few people but these are DC/NOVA snobs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting OGRallyEdition:
I really like how comfortable the interior is. Has anyone actually sat in your back seat? I did riding home from the bar and holy crap, its freaking comfy.

I am one of the 90% who don't remember the lap belt, I will try to retrain the brain to take the sliding belt as a signal to latch the rest.

The cupholder does suck butt. I usually have a bottled drink though so its not a big deal to just set it on the passenger seat. How many of you REALLY use cans anymore? still, I want to find a b4 Passat cup holder to add to the console for when there is a passenger. They look like this:
folded up
uch1.jpg

unfolded
cup383fgk9.jpg

that or you can get a common ford taurus cup holder and install it in a single-DIN spot:
click

citymunky

Quoting minneSNOWta:
Hey cheeky, where did you get that cupholder? The dash cupholders are pretty cool too. Anyone fab a custom center console cup holder yet?

I got one on ebay

Adorsey

I would be pretty happy if a Jetta single din cup holder fell in my lap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif They seem sturdy enough for open drinks in the gride.
7633.jpg

NateCrisman

Quoting blkchr91:
Automatic seat belts: Seems like most of the world hates them.

I would just like to know why.

They weight a good 18-20lb more than manual seat belts and don't do the job of a seatbelt any better. It's a waste of bulk in a performance car. Toss the useless junk, make the car lighter, quicker, and faster.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts