The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

181/1000 the half-a$$ rally car

mountaineerjeff

well I picked up number 181 as an alternative to running my jeep everywhere. I figured the gas savings alone would be beneficial. well like 4 days later it jumped time. well thats when the money pit started. once the head was pulled the valves were all smashed, and the pistons were nicked up. so the motor got pulled and I picked a 1g donor. the donor motor got stripped down, and completely rebuilt.
all new gaskets, BSE kit, new composite hg, arps, new valve cover, cyclone intake with a phenolic spacer, ported 2g exhaust manifold.

well when we went as pulled the motor, I decided to pull it all together. when the axles needed to come out I couldnt get them out of the knuckles without pulling the ball-joint. then I decided to replace the control arms since there was rust on the arms, and new arms come with ball joints. well when the old arms came out, the mounts were all rusted so thats when I decided that 181 would become a little more hardcore. no point in keeping a vr4 nice that has been rust repaired. so once I decided it would be a half-a$$ rally car we deleted the AC, cruise, PS, and ABS. the entire front sub-frame got replaced with new, new control arms, new brakes and suspension, prothane motor mounts.

then I went ahead and replaced the trans with a shorter throw 90' trans, act flywheel, new stage something PP and full face clutch, SS clutch line, with new cylinder, and new oem axles, and tcase.

with everything else the front went 5lug. with new bearings and the steering rack switched out.

after I got it.

begin the tear down.

begin of rust repair, and can see the partial damage.

mountaineerjeff

reassembled motor

motor/trans/tcase all installed.

GSX_TC

I like how you matched the intake manifold with the valve cover. Never seen that before, very nice.

mountaineerjeff

oil pan

kyb/agx/eibach new mounts. they got cleaned then painted black

mountaineerjeff

Quoting GSX_TC:
I like how you matched the intake manifold with the valve cover. Never seen that before, very nice.

thanks alot, I like to keep the flow.

heres the first move. we zipped it up together real quick to move it across town to the garage with the lift.
with and without my garage partner. you can see my new CF hood, and how its still 4-lug in the rear.

mountaineerjeff

rear sub-frame dropped out.

new rear everything, with gsx stuff to delete the 4ws completely. along with the 5-lug, rear kyb/eibach

here it is under its own weight. with rear strut bar. blacked out markers, and antenna delete

mountaineerjeff

front view. I think that it should be dropped some. it was already dropped one inch, but it looks higher than stock with all the weight I have pulled out.

there are a lot more mods under the hood, but I havent been too worried with pictures. I have a mishimoto rad, a braille battery, hood latch delete, all non-abs lines with galant abd proportioning valve.

GSX_TC

Sweet, I see a 90 External oil cooler

mountaineerjeff

yea, there are hundreds of little mods like that. external oil cooler, huge FMIC, blacked corners, and turn signals. everything unnecessary removed and deleted. just waterpump,oilpump, and alternator are teh only things left.

it also has the jmf heat shield ceramic coated, along with the o2 and intake and exhaust mani being coated as well. for temporary I have a 2g,560s and a keydiver. but I need to get a new chip for the cyclone, my evo8 mafs, and bigger injectors. I have a an in cabin mbc, aem uego, and boost gauge, along with a palm for data logging.

things that are getting done before the weekend, is the wiring harness being stripped, radio delete, ac core delete, and probably have the interior slimmed down. hopefully getting my piping done, and the front end reassembled.

Terry Posten

I was told that the 1990 trans were weaker internally. Can't recall but I think it has to do with less renforcement webbing or something or the other.

Has anybody else heard that?

mountaineerjeff

its a moot point as far as my build is concerned. it provides a smooth short shift, without changing my shifter height. as far as power, Im positive it will hold a 16g just fine, especially during the winter, when my weakest link is traction. by the time the trans could be an issue, it will get a built trans that will handle bigger numbers. right now its in winter beater mode.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting Terry Posten:
I was told that the 1990 trans were weaker internally. Can't recall but I think it has to do with less renforcement webbing or something or the other.

Has anybody else heard that?

I thought the only real difference was crappy synchros.

mountaineerjeff

well I have gotten some more work done, but its all been done late at night, so the pics are too dark, but I moved the fuse box to the firewall, along with mounting my braille to the firewall as well. made some new wire ends and grounds. and started on the intercooler and piping. the wiring was moved on the inside of the 'frame' rails, the the headlight supports were 'modified' and the radiator mounts moved to allow the intercooler piping to run on each side of the rad.

most of the sound deadening has been pulled from the trunk, and the seats have been pulled, and are going in #1630. Ill try and get some of the crappy pics loaded.

and a little bit of a teaser, its not quite done yet, and the pics are super dark, but you get the idea

mountaineerjeff

well I got some major progress for once. got the rear seats in and bolted down. not as picky as some on here, but they are secure and comfy. front still WIP.

mountaineerjeff

I also got the end tank on the intercooler welded up, Ill get some pics of the work today, but all I have now is it test fitted on the car.

the 'sweet' "3VOM" is coming off, though. its not in my taste, but luckily it cant be seen with the bumper on. it will eventually get anodized.

mountaineerjeff

all buttoned up.

DR1665

All buttoned up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Quoting GSX_TC:

For maximum effect, also paint the exhaust heat shields to match. (Welcome to 2007, a few months prior to The Kia Incident.)

mountaineerjeff

for a bit of a side by side comparison brian. JIC you missed the fact that the exhaust is already black.

mine. before I finished the bit of a wire mess on the firewall.

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

getting a little bit closer to being a full fledged RallyFart

I think its centered pretty well.

If they seem a little crooked, this was during the first 'test' fit. AKA just tossing them in.

DR1665

Quoting mountaineerjeff:
for a bit of a side by side comparison brian. JIC you missed the fact that the exhaust is already black.

I am a retard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts