The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#431 runs single digit passes

NateCrisman

Youtube Video of the runs

check the video!

GizmoVR4's 92..#431/1000. Island yesterday Nov 5th. We got three 9 sec passes out of the car before being kicked out for lack of safety equipment. This was the first day we were able to make complete passes without any major issues and thankfully hit the goal of a 9.

So we now have some issues to deal with for the winter:
[*]obviously getting the roll bar upgraded to a full cage w/ the roof halo & dash bars, chassis certification, and getting NHRA license.
[*]intercooler needs a significant upgrade as we were seeing 141-156*F AIT at the traps.
[*]ignition upgrade. we were ok at 40psi, but 42.6psi was blowing out the spark.
[*]ECU needs an upgrade as we are running on the very last bottom row of the fuel table, and the boost control doesn't have enough resolution to tune with.
[*]suspension & alignment needs work, as the car is roasting tire in first gear and sliding around and isn't efficient as it could be. It went 1.37 on the pass w/ misfire even with lifting throttle in first gear!
[*]Weight loss....car is still a real streetcar. elec sunroof, leather seat, full dash w/ all the inside guts. all stock wiring. sway bars. stock brakes. significant weight to lose [/list]

That 9.6 was done with the trans not really revving up in first gear or making a solid 1-2 shift. 2-3 shift was pretty early too. We are still figuring out this adjustable rpm shift box vs the automatic shift lag. We had the shift points set too low, actually below where the converter would stall to, which makes the logs looks strange, as if the car launched and stayed in 3rd gear the whole way. I guess we want to shift the thing at about 8500rpm.

Next year I think we are going to make a goal of overtaking #1062 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

Yikes how much converter do you have? Breakin up pretty bad on the last run eh?

Man congrats on the 9 sec pass!

NateCrisman

Quoting Zak:
Yikes how much converter do you have? Breakin up pretty bad on the last run eh?

Man congrats on the 9 sec pass!

Converter is a re-stalled stocker done by a trans shop that is local to Gizmo in Long Island, NY. I'll see if I can get the info on the shop. It seems to be able to get nearly 5000rpm and 20psi on the starting line without any nitrous. We haven't sprayed it yet this year at all, haven't had to. We expected the car to need a small dry shot on the line to get up on the converter, but the combo of 2.3L bottom end, ball bearing turbo, short IC piping, and the loose converter seem to work out pretty well. I think once we get the car to go straight and keep from lifting the front, we can get the 60' time down into the low 1.3's if not maybe hit a 1.2.

Last edited:

Barnes

I love the way the clock pops out of the dash on run #4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Ya, the unit would prolly blow the tires off pretty hard. What tire you running anyways? 26x8?

GSX_TC

congrats! i love videos like these!! what turbo are you running btw?

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting Zak:
Ya, the unit would prolly blow the tires off pretty hard. What tire you running anyways? 26x8?

26x8.5x15" M&H Racemaster bias ply slicks on 15x7' ARE wheels (old school wheels!). Unfortunately we can't really fit anything bigger, as the car could benefit from 28" dia tires to give us a little more rpm in 3rd gear. It's coming through at about 8800rpm in drive to see 144mph trap speed, which IMHO is getting close to the limit for a 2.3L 100mm stroker bottom end.

Part of the traction issue is the alignment is totally wrong. It has static toe out a tiny bit due to "eyeball alignment" at the last minute after putting D2 coil overs on the front. The thing lifts the front, which adds even more toe out, leading the thing to drift around and scrub the front tires. We need to limit strap the front shocks and set the toe to 0.0* exact on the straps. The rear needs to be stiffer so it doesn't blow through the travel and let the camber go way negative. Set of active toe elim ends would also help. We'll get it to hook better next year, I promise!

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Quoting GSX_TC:
congrats! i love videos like these!! what turbo are you running btw?

The turbo is a GT37R with a T3 turbine housing. Not 100% sure of the turbo model # nor do I know the A/R of the housing. He got the turbo in a weird deal w/ a machine shop that took it from a different customer as collateral on an unpaid bill. So we don't really know exactly what the turbo is. We are running it at 40psi on the 9.6 run. Turning the boost control map in DSMlink V3 up "one click" brought boost up to 42.6 average. Not really sure what the limit is with a 37R, but I guess I'd just keep cranking in more boost until we don't see a mph increase.

48-50psi of boost might be the max /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

marvinmadman

Use some fishing string next time instead of eyeballin it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSX_TC

wow thats actually quite impressive for a 37R, good job

marvinmadman

Yeah one of my buddy's had a 37r on his 11 sec civic. Didn't think one would propel a galant into the 9's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

3rdstrikedsm

That's a solid car!
Is that Marks old car? I never heard where it went after he sold it but I thought it was out east.

NateCrisman

NOT Mark's car. not the car, not any of the parts. It just happens to be another auto swapped white GVR4 w/ a similar engine combo. But seriously, totally different car.

turbowop

Quoting Barnes:
I love the way the clock pops out of the dash on run #4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

And then goes back in when the brakes are applied. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Congrats!

ApexHunter

Quoting Barnes:

Classic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

broxma

Do you have some idea as to what kind of realistic power numbers the car is laying down at that boost level?

How is boost holding on the top end of almost 9K rpm and do you think a 2.0L or 2.1L would be better?

/brox

beaner

Nice Nate. Giving me some motivation to finish my setup with the exact same snail. 9's is silly silly fast.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts