The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

93 Eagle Summit Wagon AWD project

Leon_R

So, it isn't a GVR4, but is pretty close (now) and I did find out on this forum, back in '08 (when I had my last GVR4).

click

I drove this wagon for 2 years, did some minor mods (EVO8 suspension, EVO3 radiator), but finally my clutch let go and I started the swap project. It took 18 month of on a off work, but I am finally done!

The mods:

Race block with forged pisons/rods
Rebuilt heads w/HKS 272 cams
Magnus Intake
Switzer COP ignition
2G DSM ECU with V3 ECM Link (running SD)
1G IRC race core FMIC with custom plumbing
Summit 5sp tranny with 4 spider center diff and DSM viscous coupling.
DSM ACT 2600 w/street disc and ACT FW

There were a ton of other other mods to make it all work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For now, I am runing 14b turbo and pump gas. Which gave me best et of 12.44 @106.6

Edit added vids: click

Last edited:

GSX_TC

can we see the pics, this is badass

Leon_R

I need to take some more under the hood photos. Right now, I can offer a video of my 13.6 run, which was done on stock exhaust and just 16psi! Car's next pass was 13.3 with a bit more boost. 12.4 came a week later and was through a 3" exhaust cutout, more boost and fixed boost leaks.

click

I will post more later.

omertaitalia

im buying a 92 expo sp (7passenger wagan) awd manual 5 speed next week and cant wait, my plan is to swap over stock galant vr4 engine, tranny and transfer case, not sure to much about the swap and what it entails, is it pretty basic, use a 1g ecu and harness and use expos harness where necessary?

Leon_R

'92 is an interesting year, it uses 1G style motor mounts and a 6 bolt 2.4 motor. Good for reusing GVR4/1G parts and 2.4 block is worth more than the 7 bolts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

As for wiring, it is a PITA (since they came with distributor engine). I choose the tough way to do this: I re-pinned ALL the wires to match a 2G DSM. At first glance, it seemed easy (only 30% of pins had to be changed), but dove into it, I discovered some nasty surprises:

- TPS looked like 2G, but was actually reversed in its operation!
- MPI relay looked identical to a 2G but was wired differently! That effected MPI logic, which resulted in ECU being reset to base settings every time it was shut off.
- tach will not run off DSM signal (I swapped in DSM tach) but that has to be done anyway.

I do have a complete 2G/Summit pinout diagram that I will share with DSM community. But... having completed the swap this way, even with my spreadsheet, I would still recommend taking off the dashboard and doing a complete harness swap!

Not removing a dash was one of my motivations to chose the repining approach. But the joke might me on me, because it looks like a just might have a leaky heater core /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

omertaitalia

have you seen dude that turb'od his 64 using stock distributor?, he used a 4g15 distr. had it machined to match our cas and bolted it on, used his stock ecu. is this the best route to go. if you did it again what would you do.? use the 1g t/e/l harness to 1g t/e/l ecu and thats all?,it sounds easy but i know its not gonna be.do i need a galant transfer case and tranny?

Last edited:

Leon_R

I would definitely go with a DSM harness or... do a pinout like what I did. Whatever it takes to use a DSM ECU with DSM Link! It is just a superior tuning device!

You can use ether the van or the GVR4 tranny, doesn't really matter. And t-case is identical between the two. Right down to the yoke recall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

omertaitalia

ok thats good to know, guess ill be into some wires this winter fawk it, im ready to have this van going, picking it up wed. ill post pics when she in my yard.

omertaitalia

also i already have a safc/keydiver chip for the van, gonna go link speed density setup on the gvr4 eventually and keep the van at a modest 15psi

omertaitalia

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

gvr4 picture uploading was lagging hard, here she is, 92 expo sp, awd manual, she is a basic model with really no options, has no abs,no sunroof,no power windows. im gonna keep the ac hopefully but well see once i get into wires.

Last edited:

Leon_R

Looking nice!

I know you PMed me about making the tach working, but I prefer to respond in my thread, so that everyone can see it.

I found the van tach wire and tried putting DSM tach signal into it. I saw no reaction! I found it strange, because some people report at least a little "jerk" of the niddle, but I saw NOTHING. I read on 4G61t.org that some people swapped-in DSM tack into the cluster, but they left no instructions of how to do it. So I went into this job under the understanding that it can be done, so it was only the matter of figuring out how.

First, I took apart a spare DSM cluster and removed the tack and its.
Then, I toop apart my Summit cluster and took out its tach. The two were NOTHING alike! Here is what I did:

I cut the face of DSM tach to fit properly into Summit cluter.
Next, I took Summit tack front mouting bracket (the clear plastic one) and drilled new holes for DSM tach.
Next, I mounted DSM tach onto the Summit tack mounting bracket. Now, the problem with this bracket, is that it doesn't actually keep it on place. There are no screws that go through this bracket! The only thing it does is locates the tack. So I used some black RVT to hold everything in place. I put generous amount of RTV on the back of the cluster, so that is what is keeping everything in place.

Electrically, I made three short wires to make three connections (Positive, Negative and Tach signal). You also have to find a spot to moutn the PC board, that wasn't very difficult.

All of this will make more sense, as you are doing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

omertaitalia

ok thanks for the info, i had a feeling i was gonna need to do sumin like that, just got back from pick n pull and hit gold on a 93 expo there, got everything that was missing or nasty replaced in my expo now.

CutlassJim

Quoting omertaitalia:

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

gvr4 picture uploading was lagging hard, here she is, 92 expo sp, awd manual, she is a basic model with really no options, has no abs,no sunroof,no power windows. im gonna keep the ac hopefully but well see once i get into wires.

It looks like it's in great shape and mine's twin! Great candidate for a swap!

omertaitalia

ya im excited about it, just got another stock radio from a 93 expo at the junkyard with a aux input, gonna hopefully start getting into her next month. mine has grey interior, ive seen biege and gray, yours is the only one ive seen with blue. wonder if theres a way to find out production numbers of awd 5 speed expos in 92 like hertz has done with the gvr4

Leon_R

So, Jim, when are you staring your swap project?

CutlassJim

Lol soon I hope. I like too many types of cars though. I just picked this up for hopefully a nice summer cruiser next year.

2011-11-04_16-55-14_345.jpg

Were the scales open when you went I would love to know what that thing weighs in at. My 2G was 3050 without me in it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts