The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Top mounted intercooler, very short route and hood scooped! *UPDATE*

rdomeck

So...I run a fabrication shop and I ended up making this set-up myself. I have 9" of piping total and my cooler is 11"X15" with out the end tanks. I have a 11"X2 1/2" opening in my hood to get air to the cooler and I like my temps so far. I may put a puller fan on the bottom of the cooler if need be. I did a test run before I finished the hood scoop and seems like my IAT were pretty good. On an 85 degree day at 17psi I was running 120 degree's under boost and cooled down to 88 degree's within about 7 seconds. Would have done a longer pull but my tape that was holding the make shift hood scoop started to blow off. As it turns out it was only 105 MPH tape!!!

I'm sure this will get some negative input...As it has already. I have a bung welded in on the inlet tank so that I can see what my temps are before and after, but the sensor that I received didn't read for some reason. I did do some driving before I was able to have any air getting to the cooler and my temps quickly went up to around 200 degrees and didn't come down very quickly as one would expect.With the air getting to it I think it's doing ok. I never saw temps over 122 degree's. Will hopefully do some more testing tomorrow before I tear apart the car to paint it!

My reasoning......Seams logical to have as little plumbing to charge and I was not going to cut my front bumper support to put in a larger cooler. Many people do and that's fine but I wasn't going too. The factory plumbing was 98" the best I could measure. I'm now less that 10% of that with 3 times the factory cooler and a direct path of air to it and nothing really hot behind it (A/C condenser, radiator, turbo, exhaust, etc.)

Last edited:

kartorium

I think it turned out great, and will work fine for what you're trying to accomplish. You did an awesome job building the setup too! Very clean.

I was going to do this exact same thing back in like 2004 or so using a starion core. I ended up not doing it cause my car at the time got totaled and the new car I got already had a front mount.

Glad to see you followed through.

Okayplayer

That is a really cool set up. I think you did a hell of a job putting it together. It looks well thought out and well executed. Good on ya! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

bobdole

This is really neat. Great job. Looks like the intercooler fit's nice under the hood.

Diego

Quoting Okayplayer:
That is a really cool set up. I think you did a hell of a job putting it together. It looks well thought out and well executed. Good on ya! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

This! Great job thinking outside the cookie cutter version types!

rdomeck

I could have went a little larger on the cooler, but I don't think it would have been as clean and the plumbing would have much longer and that would have defeated my plan. I'm thinking about painting it Dover White Pearl...The color that is on the newer Galants!

Wow, this post made me a member.........

Last edited:

Okayplayer

Hahaha, That's funny, I've been on this forum for almost 2 years and just getting close to being "member" status, I guess I'm antisocial. SMH

GSX_TC

thats pretty neat, there was a guy at this years shootout that had a very similar setup like that. here are the pics i took of it.

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

AWDPower

I like it, very well executed. The hood looks like it could be factory. Did you notice a big difference in throttle response?

rdomeck

I did notice much better throttle response, but I also changed a bunch of other stuff at the same time! Not the way I like to modify things, but it's just the series of events that happened! I'll be doing some more driving today to see how it does!

gramkrakr89

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
Very nice indeed, definitely not a run-of-the-mill DSM hack-job

I'm curious to see how your setup turns out performance wise... aesthetically, it's an A+ for sure

rdomeck

Quoting AWDPower:
I like it, very well executed. The hood looks like it could be factory. Did you notice a big difference in throttle response?

A factory job was exactly what I wanted it to look like! Thanks for the comment!

Interesting. The hood turned out good. I first saw the mock up with those sharp edges and I was like uh oh. Im eager to see the hood on the car.

You mentioned that there is nothing hot behind the intercooler but the trans is right below there.

Do you still have ac?

And do you feel like snapping a pic of your engine bay with the ic out so I/we can see what the intake pipe and mounting points look like?

Last edited by a moderator:

rdomeck

I'm sure at some point I will have the intercooler out and I will take some pics. The transmission is below there, but it's not like the FMIC that has an A/C condenser and Radiator right behind it. The air flow out the bottom is much more unobstructed than a FMIC.

I do still have A/C

I drove the car today with the hood on and will probably start the body work on it next week. I will post up some pics of the car with the hood on before I start!

Okayplayer

I'm glad this came out well, so how much would you charge to make a hood like this, hmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

rdomeck

If there were any interest at all I would make a mold of this one and cast it in fiberglass. I had a day in metal work and body work to get it into primer. That was once I had most everything figured out. I probably had 10-12 hours in it total. So probably in the $500-600 range. Would certainly be worth casting a mold to make some....Something that happens all the time in my business!

Interest anyone?

Okayplayer

It has a real rally look to it, not fanboy, but rally, I dig it. I wonder if my Evo front mount would fit in there. Hmmmm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

rdomeck

11" wide X 15" long was about all I could easily fit in there. I feel like I could make my own core and go bigger, but this is just a street car! I believe you could go at least 16 wide and maybe 18-20 long. This would require some different length tubes or fins and some thought on the end tanks. I was trying hard not to modify the chassis just in case I needed to back up!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts