The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

503 has a semi-new vibration

turbowop

Help me brainstorm to figure this out...

Tires and brakes are new, yet this was an issue with the previous set as well. Engine has no balance shafts and the timing belt is perfectly in time.

At any speed while coasting, car has zero vibration. At any engine RPM in first/second gear, car has no vibration. At higher speeds (freeway, 55-75mph or so) and under acceleration, the car suffers from some type of vibration that can be felt throughout the whole car. As soon as I let off the throttle, vibration goes away. Axle boots are all good and I've gotten underneath the car to grab the driveshaft joints and shake them. No visual problems have been found.

Is it logical to think that a front or rear motor mount may be getting soft and allowing too much flex under load at speed, causing this issue due to higher driveshaft angle? They are the stock mounts. Anybody else ever experienced this problem?

ktmrider

Good assumption it's in the DS. I've had to remove the DS to diagnose bad u-joints too.

Also look into the carrier bearing bushings ( CB to body ). They wear out fairly easily and allow the CB to squirm quite a bit. May not hurt to try the sillycone boot fill either.

Last have the balance checked if all else looks good.

Brianawd

Ujoints. 439 did the same thing tell I replaced the ujoints.

U-joints or quite possibly a pinion bearing. Check the diff fluid for metal.

turbowop

I can grab it and shake it and it doesn't move. I guess I'll pick up the recall yoke to replace the front u-joint and see if that fixes it. Thanks, guys.

IncorpoRatedX

problem is similar to what I had going on, it was the U-joints, i was in the same boat as you though...

I chased this problem all over hell, t-case, clutch, rear diff, axles, everywhere, all because the driveshaft seemed tight.

I'll see if i can find a pic of how fucked two of my u-joints actually were, they were tight, but marred up and shifted bad.

IncorpoRatedX

turbowop

Well I'm glad you guys had the same issue and found the problem. Keeps me from having to chase the issue. I figured it was driveshaft related due to the frequency of the vibration, but you guys pretty much confirm it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IncorpoRatedX

I want more than a thank you for the amount of work I did chasing this vibration down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

galant344

ive learned over the years that if it feels like a drive shaft issue and the drive shaft feels ok all hooked up you better just remove it to ensure that the joints are moving freely and not stiff.

turbowop

Yeah, I'll pull it off next weekend and get a feel for all the joints. I just ordered a couple of recall yokes from JNZ and will replace the ones that feel rough.

Brianawd

Just rebuild the whole drive shaft and be done with it.

turbowop

I'm bringing this back up...

I ended up replacing all three u-joints and the problem is still there. I replaced the saggy front motor mount as well. Then I took brianawd's known good driveshaft off his car that he's parting out and swapped it tonight. Still f***ing vibrates at freeway speeds under load. I checked the front half shaft bearing while i was under the car and it's good and tight.

Could the rear pinion bearing cause this? The flange feels normal back there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I'm getting sick of the paint shaker feeling the car gives when I go to pass somebody on the highway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brunoboy

this problem just started with 352 a few days ago. I found out one rim was bent in the front and hadnt checked the other. The vibration went partially away after i got rid of that rim in front. I am thinking my other Rim is bent too. Check your rims again and balance.

transparentdsm

^ good call shane. i had the same problem, bought the car two weeks later it got a vibration and i rebuilt the DS to find out it was tires out of balance. dont get me wrong, rebuilding the DS was a great idea. took some vibration away.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts