The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

decent source for new rear brake calipers

turbowop

So while pulling off my old brake sh*t and prepping 503 for new pads/rotors on Saturday, as I was screwing in the rear pistons, the damn things started leaking. Fawk. Old tired seals I guess. So after calling all the local parts houses I find that they all need to order them. I figured they'd be more available due to sharing the same parts as the early DSMs, but alas, nobody has them in stock. I could probably do a rebuild kit, but would prefer some reman'd calipers instead.

I can order them from Rockauto, but there are a lot of choices. Any advice on good ones that you guys have used from Rockauto or elsewhere would be helpful...

OMFGeofffff

I ordered a drivers side rear caliper off rockauto. To my surprise you actually have to filter through the choices they give you because I found out the one I got was wrong. Make sure the description says AWD. I figured since it gave me the option to buy it it would fit. I couldn't wait for the return so I ended up getting one from Oreilly.

turbowop

That's kinda what I figured, hence this thread. I was worried about pads and rotors but I ended up with the correct ones after doing some research before ordering.

turbowop

I paid $190 shipped for all new Raybestos rotors and Wagner pads, plus I'm getting $40 back in rebates.

I ordered a pair of reman'd Raybestos calipers that include new sliders/brackets for $175 from Ebay. Free shipping and no core charge. Rockauto was the same price but required shipping plus core charge and they were all out of the right side caliper. And all the other brands were more or had a higher core charge and didn't include reman'd sliders/brackets. Stupid rears cost more than fronts, I assume due to the e-brake function.

mikus

I got FENCO rear calipers at Advance - there's some great codes for online orders out there so the price is very low, and some quick googling suggests that Fencos are at least as good as your usual store fare.

No problems so far. Paid ~$55 for caliper. Got pads off rockauto

Romanova

Mark, I just replaced both of mine with Centric brand calipers from Rock Auto. VERY nice quality on the rebuilds I got... so much so, that I used Centric for the fronts as well. Would HIGHLY recommend them sir.

91VR41400

I also usually get them from Advance auto too.. if they have to be ordered usually comes in the next day.

turbowop

I don't have an Advance Auto locally, so I'm stuck with O'Reilly's, Autozone, Napa, and some other local parts houses all of which would take a few days to get and would charge me freight and core. I think the Ebay deal was pretty good. Hopefully I get them by the weekend so I can get my car off the damn jackstands in my driveway.

This did give me an opportunity to fix some other sh*t though. New parking brake cable install, FIAV blockoff and an exhaust leak fix.

thedsmguy

I've noticed that the rear calipers on my gvr4 were bigger then some rear calipers I've pulled off DSM's and they have different numbers stamped in them denoting a larger piston size in the caliper.. Anyone else ran into this?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned