The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

headlight ponderings

curtis

I realized something last night when pulling out some parts from under the bench. I have 4 93 headlights besides mine and another set I need to put projectors in for someone.

So one passenger and 3 drivers. The one passenger is fine with minor peeling of the chrome but the 3 drivers all have serious peeling problems and one even got so hot it melted the bulb plastic to the thermoset resin of the backplate and distorted that. I really think its something in the wiring that causes to much heat to that one bulb because over the years its usually the driver side that is peeled more than the passenger side.

That is all.... just found it strange, I just don't see it being the plating process on one side failing, I'm sure they get the same treatment on the left and right side lights.

prove_it

interesting.

The lights are wired in parallel, so load should stay the same. I wonder if there is maybe a bit more resistance in the body wiring in the drivers side.

DR1665

Well, since the driver side is always in use when the car is running, it's only fitting that headlight would be used more and subject to wear issues such as these before the passenger side.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

cheekychimp

Could it just be the bulbs? I remember putting bulbs in my 8G once that ran too hot and melted all the connectors. Strange that it would only happen on one side rather than the other because I doubt someone would swap in a mismatched bulb, but just throwing it out there since this was an issue I had on another Mitsu car.

curtis

Driggy step away from the bottle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Toybreaker just sent me a PM and after thought I think he's on to something. The coolant overflow tank is on that side. He told me once about and audi (I think) he troubleshooted that kept getting coolant in the cabin/trunk... what was happening the coolant sensor in the tank would allow coolant to pressurize and go into the wire and then would travel in the system. Ours doesn't have a sensor but maybe vapor in the close proximity is causing some problem with the wiring and creating problems. That or me and him both have had to many late night beverages. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

gentlemen,

I think the issue is waaay simpler than you're making it out to be.

The air intake for the airbox is on the passenger side, (that means it's ~approximately~ ambient temperature in that area)

The coolant overflow tank is located on the passenger side, and during most phases of engine operation, there will be some pretty substantial additional heat added to the area as the coolant warms up/expands and is pushed out to the overflow bottle.

This heat will work on the plastic of the headlight housing, shortening the service life of the reflective coating compared to the cooler passenger's side

... in addition, heat increases the resistance in an electrical system considerably, ... which creates more heat, ... which creates more resistance.

This often factors in to statistical anomolies such as vehicles that need three left headlight bulbs replaced for every righty, and why only one side of the system melts it's electrical connectors/wiring.

Something as simple as placing a small amount of heat reflecting wrap on the harness in areas where it';s subject to high engine compartmemnt temps will go along way towards mitigating these circumstances

duhs that mayk sehnse neow, Curtis?

cheekychimp

Or get a RHD car and then you no longer have issues with the Driver's side light ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Yeah yeah I know ... lay off the Bailey's already!!!

curtis

duhs that mayk sehnse neow, Curtis?

Yea It does now but no beer in my system but also haven't had crap for sleep so talk slower and do it again ***. And no wasn't drinking Coors, when you told me and Chris you lived above the headwaters of the brewery I get this sick image of you pissing off your porch in your fuzzy house shoes aiming towards Coors everytime I see a Coors commercial or see it in a store.

Budweiser = horsepiss
Coors = Hall family DNA spreading throughout the world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

This is yet another silver bullet I never want anything to do with.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned