The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Homemade rear bumper support help

I just got a VIS rear bumper cover because the rear bumper melted and so did the foam inside. I would like to get the bumper cover back but since I have kids I would rather add a rear support. I know that Curtis did some pretty cool stuff with a Volvo rear bumper but not sure I want to go that route. It seems like a pain in the behind for someone who is not as skilled (like me). I have also seen another poster us some brackets from Lowes to get the rear bumper to fit. I don't want to go down that route either. Curtis has been most helpful as far as what I might want to do but I haven't done anything like this before and don't want to wear him down.

Any ideas what I need to get? My vehicle has been down for months because I don't want to put the rusty stocker back in.

Thanks for any ideas

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthCaliVR4

anything aside from the stocker is going to require some fab skills. the Curtis Volvo mod also involved shortening the bumper, if I recall correctly. post up in WTB & I bet someone will have one for you.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting blkchr91:
I just got a VIS rear bumper cover because the rear bumper melted and so did the foam inside. I would like to get the bumper cover back but since I have kids I would rather add a rear support. I know that Curtis did some pretty cool stuff with a Volvo rear bumper but not sure I want to go that route. It seems like a pain in the behind for someone who is not as skilled (like me). I have also seen another poster us some brackets from Lowes to get the rear bumper to fit. I don't want to go down that route either. Curtis has been most helpful as far as what I might want to do but I haven't done anything like this before and don't want to wear him down.

Any ideas what I need to get? My vehicle has been down for months because I don't want to put the rusty stocker back in.

Thanks for any ideas

buy a stock replacement bumper from the junkyard, put the stock bumper core back on, for the safety of your children and so you're not embarrassing them by driving an early 90's japanese sedan with a body kit... you're not some 19 year old douche bag trying to impress 17 year old girls, are you?

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
anything aside from the stocker is going to require some fab skills. the Curtis Volvo mod also involved shortening the bumper, if I recall correctly. post up in WTB & I bet someone will have one for you.

No one has been willing to ship the stocker thus far, that is why I bought the VIS which is shortened already. Not sure if that is what you meant.

jcgalntvr4-244

Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

Last edited:

Quoting Alpha Male:
Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

buy a stock replacement bumper from the junkyard, put the stock bumper core back on, for the safety of your children and so you're not embarrassing them by driving an early 90's japanese sedan with a body kit... you're not some 19 year old douche bag trying to impress 17 year old girls, are you?

What junkyard? One from 300 miles away when no one will ship? East of the Blue Ridge Mountains it isn't as easy to get parts. Are YOU some 19 year old trying to impress 17 year old girls?? It isn't a body kit, it is a rear bumper cover. I am not the only one here with a VIS rear bumper cover and/or no one with one seems to suffer from embarrassment or insecurity issues as far as I can see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Anyways, I'd like to fab something up. No need to get off topic with BS posts.

Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:
Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

And your point is what exactly? You don't like the rear bumper either or I guess you are just trying to show everyone what I am talking about? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting blkchr91:
Quoting Alpha Male:
Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

What junkyard? One from 300 miles away when no one will ship? East of the Blue Ridge Mountains it isn't as easy to get parts. Are YOU some 19 year old trying to impress 17 year old girls?? It isn't a body kit, it is a rear bumper cover. I am not the only one here with a VIS rear bumper cover and/or no one with one seems to suffer from embarrassment or insecurity issues as far as I can see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Anyways, I'd like to fab something up. No need to get off topic with BS posts.

you try click ?

Alpha Male...I tried that...closest is in PA I believe. The guy just about dropped dead on the phone when I asked him to ship it.

AutobahnTom has one but he is way up there in MD as compared to where I live. Seriously, I think the rear bumper would be ok when painted up etc. Not crazy about fiberglass but didn't want to spend $500 shipped for a JDM bumper and then have to paint it.

I got the VIS for like $210 shipped to my door.

mikus

guys, let's get back on topic. Let's help get a bumper on, wait for some pics, THEN talk smack if you feel its needed.

OP is the issue here the safety factor, having crash protection? Or is "on and straight" sufficient? Does the VIS bumper seem like it'd mount up just like stock or is there need-to-know info there?

IIRC the curtis bumper started with Volvo but moved on to some sort of basic aluminum bar, I thought it was a bolt-up affair. He prolly would have told you as much though.

Thanks Mikus...hopefully we can collaborate and help each other out since parts are getting harder to come by and we share such a small community. I'd rather lean on the side of safety with the kids even though there are arguments as to whether or not a 5mph bumper is needed. The rear bumper does essentially bolt up. I haven't painted it yet, but can shoot some pics of it up close during the day even if it is banana yellow and primed right now. There are mounts on the side of the bumper which are just like the stocker. The center of the bumper is what doesn't mount up perfectly. Got a hold of "Hittman" who is facing a remotely related situation locally. He is willing to meet up with me and let me see what a JDM rear bumper support is like up close so that I can take measurements and/or make a judgement call. My kids are my life. Even though I own 4 other vehicles and they are RARELY in the vehicle you just never know. I bought the GVR4 over a DSM for that reason alone....a little bit of family time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NateCrisman

A post I made in a different thread (USDM bumper vs JDM bumper):

Quote:

To be fair, JDM bumpers are nothing but cosmetics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

You can lose the same 90+lb of weight by taking off your USDM bumpers, removing the giant 40lb steel support beam, the 10lb block of foam from each end and putting the USDM urethane covers back on. Make a couple brackets out of home depot metal to hold up the original USDM bumper cover. This gets you all of the functional JDM bumper weight loss that makes your car faster for about $10 in materials and some elbow grease.

Here is the rear bracket I made..they are less than 2lb for the pair: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

667664967_8smoZ-L.jpg

667665049_Nece9-L.jpg

jcgalntvr4-244

Quoting blkchr91:
Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:
Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

And your point is what exactly? You don't like the rear bumper either or I guess you are just trying to show everyone what I am talking about? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I was just showing what you were talking about I have nothing bad to say about that bumper ..Personally Id take that bumper over the stupid park bench rear bumper our cars came with. Now that being said I would have saved my 215.00 and just put it towards this.
click

Anyway I want to see the bumper on your car. Im not calling you out or filling your topic with BS .

Cheers,
JC

Quoting NateCrisman:
A post I made in a different thread (USDM bumper vs JDM bumper):

Quote:

To be fair, JDM bumpers are nothing but cosmetics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

You can lose the same 90+lb of weight by taking off your USDM bumpers, removing the giant 40lb steel support beam, the 10lb block of foam from each end and putting the USDM urethane covers back on. Make a couple brackets out of home depot metal to hold up the original USDM bumper cover. This gets you all of the functional JDM bumper weight loss that makes your car faster for about $10 in materials and some elbow grease.

Here is the rear bracket I made..they are less than 2lb for the pair: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

667664967_8smoZ-L.jpg

667665049_Nece9-L.jpg

This is the post I was referring to. I really like that setup. It is practical and straight forward. Would it be possible to add just a little bit more support to that setup? It obviously holds the bumper up just fine. Just with the kids, I'd want a little bit more support. I know that you side with the idea that the rear bumper makes no difference over 5 mph and obviously very qualified to say that. However, some say otherwise.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:
Quoting blkchr91:
Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:
Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

Very sorry that I assumed. It is not above me to apologize sincerely for that. I took a look at that pic and afterwards figured that you were showing me how ugly it looks in that context AND IT DOES lol. Anyways, the VIS is just like the JDM rear bumper as far as depth goes. With that said, I think (personally) that a used JDM bumper for close to $500 shipped is too much money. I'd rather have a fresh part although I am dreading fiberglass and having to pull it down and repainting it if things go wrong. Now I do realize that it would have come with a support. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif However, for the $200 saved, I should be able to fab up something.

I was just showing what you were talking about I have nothing bad to say about that bumper ..Personally Id take that bumper over the stupid park bench rear bumper our cars came with. Now that being said I would have saved my 215.00 and just put it towards this.
click

Anyway I want to see the bumper on your car. Im not calling you out or filling your topic with BS .

Cheers,
JC

Maybe add something like the area in black? Whatever piece of metal in there should be lightweight I am guessing but strong enough to make a difference in an impact.

spooling92vr4

i dont see the big deal.. look on curtis' thread with the volvo support. I remember someone going and using box aluminium for the support

I dont see why you cant just cut off the stock support bracket "tabs" and get some box aluminium(sp?) and either rivet or bolt the tabs on, and then figure out a way to fasten the bumper to that box...

or just go get a stock galant bumper cover, they can be made to work they just aren't as pretty.

I don't remember seeing someone using the box channel. I think Curtis suggested it. Good idea on cutting the bracket tabs off. What would I need to cut them off with? Again, the stock galant bumper cover is hard to get around here. I would rather kill myself in my yard instead of driving a few states and burning up gas. Our junkyards are massive and yet have like 10 mitsus in them on average. You can bet there won't be any Galant of any trim in the yard.

Finally got this done. Cut the stock brackets off, ground them down to bare metal, and brushed them down with Ford corrosion inhibitor. Added some brackets etc, etc, etc. It took me about 2.5 days of nearly non stop work to get it all right. I hope that I don't have to go through this again for a LONG LONG LONG time. I left the muffler tip angled a bit low to avoid the hassle of melting my bumper again. I used 3 rattle cans of BG basecoat and 3 cans of clearcoat to ensure coverage. I am happy with the outcome.

Here is a pic...

dewman

That actually doesn't look half bad,although the pic is kinda dark.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts