The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

46/1000: Oil + Timing Belt = @#$%#$!

Chim55117

My car skipped timing while moving it in the driveway. Thankfully it was there and not on the road. Didn't have time to go to the cookout, or work on it due to college. Came home today from college for a few hours and worked on it with my brother. Pulled the timing cover and head and found the valves had bent. Going to reuse the L19's get a OEM HG, and get new valves and a timing belt.

Pictures and explanations below.

photo-4.jpg

photo1-4.jpg

Went home today and pulled my cylinder head with Dan. Just about every valve is bent.

photo2-4.jpg

Pistons came out of it alright, no real harm done. A little nick on the tops, but those will get smoothed out.

photo3-3.jpg

The cause of the incident. Timing belt separated at the chords. I had leaking cam seals, and it soaked the belt in oil. Chords degraded and it just went, ironically days after I installed the new cam seals.

Sucks right now, but I'm going to try to get some things straightened out, then try to get it running again and tuned by the time winter swings around.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Would oil have done the same thing if he were using a Kevlar timing belt? Or would it not matter?

cheekychimp

Damn Stephen, sorry to hear the bad news, that's bad luck after all your hard work rebuilding the car. Hope you get this fixed quickly!

sixsixtwo

No worries Paul, we will get it sorted out and back running in the next couple weeks!

By the way, pm me back on your decision about the coatings!

Chim55117

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was an OEM Mitsubishi belt, I replaced it when the motor was built, which it was built for this car.

stealthtt24

I think what he meant was the cam seals were leaking, replaced the cam seals, then the timing belt broke as the damage had been done to it. Beautiful car btw, loving those wheels on the KG!

jepherz

Staff member
That really sucks man. Sounds like the same failures people blame on contitechs are just as likely on OEM. In regards to the question about the kevlar belts, I'm guessing that wouldn't matter. The teeth are probably a separate layer on any belt and that's the real problem here. Kevlar may resist stretching better, but probably can't resist teeth separating.

GSX_TC

^Roger that, thanks.

now im gonna be all worried about my cam seals till i replace them on all my cars.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts