The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aftermarket tach issues

CarRacer

I'm trying to run an aftermarket tach and it's not receiving a signal. I'm tapping into wire 109 on the ECU and the tach doesn't move.

Can I tap directly into the wire on the igniter or elsewhere to get a signal? This is for the motor swap I'm doing so there isn't a body harness and I can tap into the engine harness where ever I want to run new wires.

Thanks.

curtis

Should be a tach signal on the ignitor but I think you have to buy a tach interface/adapter box for a distributorless ignition. MSD/autometer/Accel all sell them. Look on ebay here click me

Andy_S

Quoting CarRacer:
I'm trying to run an aftermarket tach and it's not receiving a signal. I'm tapping into wire 109 on the ECU and the tach doesn't move.

Can I tap directly into the wire on the igniter or elsewhere to get a signal? This is for the motor swap I'm doing so there isn't a body harness and I can tap into the engine harness where ever I want to run new wires.

Thanks.

pin 109 is the tach output from the igniter. Do you have miss-matches 90 and 91-94 components?

CarRacer

It's all 91 stuff from my galant.

Now, it's just an el cheapo Auto Meter "AutoGage" series tach. We ran it on the stock Chevette 1.6 which uses a distributor. Is there a big difference between the tach signal from the VR4 ECU and the negative post of the ignition coil? I'm going to check the ECU wire with a multimeter next and verify that there's a signal there.

kama1

I tapped mine on the tach pin on the igniter when i was running an autometer.

pot

Staff member
I used the following diagram for referencing the RPM signal when installing my HKS turbo timer and Greddy-e01 Profec. The "I" port on the harness side has worked for me on both occasions. I would "assume" this should work for you.

CarRacer

Quoting Andy_S:
Any update? I'm currently working on a similar problem.

I ended up splicing into one of the + feed wires on the coil pack. The tach only read half as it was only getting a signal from two of the four the coils. The igniter wire is out as it's a 5v signal and the Autometer tach is looking for 12v. An aftermarket signal converter like Curtis mentioned seems to be the best solution there but not a cheap one as they're ~ $90 from Summit. I don't give a sh*t that it only reads half though so we're running it like it is, this isn't a street car and nobody but us will drive it.

Andy_S

Thanks CarRacer. Actually, you might be able to get the tach to read right by splicing into two coils and using diodes to prevent them from cross feeding each other. I also had a problem with the 5v signal because the factory tach in my car (non-mitsu as well) was looking for 20v. I believe scaling the input resistor may allow it to work properly with the 5v signal.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned