The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1157 is a tree lover...

JSchleim18

...and likes it rough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Fk you Irene! Now I'm going to replace the roof skin and the driver side fender. Luckily the hood and passenger side fender are OK though. I'm hoping it is in fact repairable.

The tree that was cut down can be seen in the last few pics. The middle was hollow and snapped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

**Disclaimer: No VOLKS were harmed in these photos**

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

damage looks VERY minor, but i cant see the front corner...

new roof skin should fix it right up?

MellowVR4

OMG, I WOULD BLACK OUT IF THAT HAPPEN TO MY GVR4 LOL. what are u gona do fix it. Doesnt seem that bad to pop back out.

JSchleim18

My girlfriend woke up and looked out the window and she was like, "OMG babe a tree is on your car!" I got up and looked at it. I thought I was about to put up a part out thread here.

The damage is pretty minor considering what could have happened. I am looking for a new roof skin or just to buy a whole shell and cut the roof off that one.

Quoted about $2,000 to do the whole job.

Neighbor says he'll pay out of pocket or go through his homeowner's insurance.

Question on homeowner's insurance...will they total the car out like they would with an auto accident? I don't want a salvage title.

mikus

Assuming repair is possible in general, isn't 'totalled' for insurance a dollar calculation? Eg
=if((repair < value),repair, payout)

In other words, on a vr4 if you file a claim for anything it's pretty much totalled? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I always thought that's how it worked.

transparentdsm

^ your right. have the guy pay out of pocket because it will be totaled by insurance. if you do end up not fixing it though and sell it please let me know because i'm moving back east i'm a mechanic and i'm looking for a project when i get back. i'm so sorry to see this happen to one of these cars, but if your not gonna fix it, don't part it or junk it. there so far and few between to find and i would hate to see another one just end up being used as a donor or scraped.

KiNgMaRtY

Ah, that sucks. Certainly just try to him to do out of pocket. You don't want the hassle of dealing with any type of insurance company.

JSchleim18

Yeah I wanna try to keep this under $2,000. I just hope my neighbor will agree to do it out of pocket. I think he will.

I found a roof and fender locally for $275.

Or I could pick up a sunroof GVR-4 for $500 and swap that roof over and just plug the sunroof. I don't know which route to take.

KiNgMaRtY

On that end, I am biased. I won't buy a car if it does not have a sunroof. I had an STi for about 6 years and hated the fact that it did not have one. (Was not an option) So.... I say go with the sunroof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JSchleim18

No no...I'm not going to use a sunroof...just asking if the Galant with a sunroof is worth it in time and money. I need the shop to cut the roof off the old car and plug where the sunroof would go. So they need another piece of metal, weld it and make it look good. Just seems like it's going to be another few hundred just to do that.

KiNgMaRtY

Oh I see, didn't read it carefully enough. In that case, just get the non sunroofed one so you don't have to plug something else up.

transparentdsm

well i mean its not like it has to be a vr4 to take the roof off of it, just go junkyard hunting and find yourself any old galant and i think the roof on the camry from those years is also about the same.

curtis

If you go to a sunroof car and want the sunroof remember the headliner is different as well as the lights and the mirror and visors.

JSchleim18

I think I am just going to buy the roof and fender off this Galant in the junkyard by me. Unfortunately, there is no pick n pulls locally. Would be nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GSX_TC

Fuckin Tree's!! haha i like your lil disclaimer, thats was funny

GIjoe

That'll buff right out

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Whoodoo

What is with it this last month with VR4s getting smashed? First it was 449, then mine, then someone who hit an escalade, now you? wtf...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts