The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 1 2 3 tranny will fit in GVR4 ???

Nabeel

Any one know if Evo tranny will fin in a GVR4 & what mod has to be done except the shaft lever (Bracks).

3rdstrikedsm

Yes it fits just fine but you need to change the rear diff ring and pinion to match the jdm ratio or switch it in the jdm trans to usdm final drive however the car will be fast in the 1/4 mile with the jdm final drive.

Nabeel

THANX.....Considering 4ws deleted' will the rear differential of the EVO will fit?

MX4

Its not a boltup. The Evo gearboxes have different mounts than the VR4 gearboxes. I have never seen it in person but do some research and you will find out the exact details.

3rdstrikedsm

Yes it will bolt in as you just don't use the front and rear mounts on the trans which is just like a 2g trans, I hade one in my gvr4 back in the day.

cheekychimp

Nabeel,
If you can get the Evo3 transfer case you can use the Evo3 rear diff without swapping out gears.

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

You stil have to swap final drives in either the trans or the rear diff and use either the e 1-3 t-case or a 97-99 2g t-case.

Nabeel

Thanx. for the info.
In that case I may needs the full tranny, T-case & rear differential. I may better to rebuilt my tranny instead. A friend of mine thought will be easier to get an evo tranny.

3rdstrikedsm

Evo trans is a stronger better trans and will be much much faster in the 1/4 mile as well fwiw.

gtluke

It will be slower in the 1/4 mile because you'll have to shift to 5th

3rdstrikedsm

Nah just raise the rev limit a bit, That's all I did but stock ecu yes you will hit rev limit just before the traps.

cheekychimp

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
You still have to swap final drives in either the trans or the rear diff and use either the e 1-3 t-case or a 97-99 2g t-case.

Yeah sorry, I was forgetting you guys had the 3.545 final ratio, the EVO 3 transfer case only works with the 3.909 rear end. The EVO 3 box is a peculiar animal though and is different from the EVO 1 and EVO 2 transmissions based upon my research, which means unless you are using the EVO 3 transfer case you MUST change the final drive in the transmission itself irrespective of which rear end you are using.

Last edited:

gtluke

You guys must use bigger tires than me, or I think I'm just WAY out of juice on the 14b to keep it in 4th.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting cheekychimp:
Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
You still have to swap final drives in either the trans or the rear diff and use either the e 1-3 t-case or a 97-99 2g t-case.

Yeah sorry, I was forgetting you guys had the 3.547 final ratio, the EVO 3 transfer case only works with the 3.909 rear end. The EVO 3 box is a peculiar animal though and is different from the EVO 1 and EVO 2 transmissions based upon my research, which means unless you are using the EVO 3 transfer case you MUST change the final drive in the transmission itself irrespective of which rear end you are using.

In my evo 1 which had a group n evo 3 gear box I could use either an evo 1-3 t-case or a 97-99 2g case and same goes for when I had evo 1 drive train in my gvr4 however I am no expert I am just speaking from previous exp.

fuel

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Yes it fits just fine but you need to change the rear diff ring and pinion to match the jdm ratio or switch it in the jdm trans to usdm final drive however the car will be fast in the 1/4 mile with the jdm final drive.

This bugs me because you are implying that the 'JDM' transmission is always 3.909 and the USDM is 3.545? That's definitely NOT the case. The only JDM Galant VR-4 to have the 3.909 ratios are the facelift 89.10 onwards RS and the 90.5 onwards Evolution spec 5M/T models. All 87 to 90.5 models including the RS up to 89.10 will have the 3.545 ratio.

fuel

Quoting cheekychimp:
Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:

Yeah sorry, I was forgetting you guys had the 3.547 final ratio, the EVO 3 transfer case only works with the 3.909 rear end. The EVO 3 box is a peculiar animal though and is different from the EVO 1 and EVO 2 transmissions based upon my research, which means unless you are using the EVO 3 transfer case you MUST change the final drive in the transmission itself irrespective of which rear end you are using.

You CANNOT use an Evo III transfer case with anything other than an Evo III transmission. The Evo I-III all have 3.909 rear ends but the Evo III has a different ratio front diff to Evo I-II and the Evo III transfer case must be used to suit the 3.909 rear ratio.

So in order to use an Evo I-III gearbox in a Galant VR-4, all you need to do is ensure the rear diff has 3.909 crown wheel and pinion fitted but must ensure the transfer case matches the box you are using - ie you can't use an Evo III transfer case on an Evo I box and vice versa.

3rdstrikedsm

evo 1-3 transmissions all use the same final drive I thought?

I can only speak from what I know 1st hand and all the people I know with evo 2-3's use this combo I spoke of early on and my evo 1 had an evo 3 set up in it but I know the rear diff was stock and matched the evo 3 gear box.
As far as jdm e39a's I have no clue on these as I have never used any of those boxes.

RedTwo

They are all 3.909 gearboxes/diff ratios with 23 spline input shafts on the trasnfer case, however, the Evo III has a different final drive, transfer case and front diff ratio. When your front wheels spin and a different rate to your rear wheels bad things happen!

Gearbox primary reduction ratio (common): 1.276:1
Rear diff (common): 3.909:1

Evo 3 3.909
Transfer 1.074
Front diff 4.200
Final 5.358

Other 3.909's
Transfer 1.090
Front Diff 4.266
Final 5.443

Final drive ratios are equal to:

Front diff ratio X gearbox reduction
AND
(Rear diff ratio X transfer ratio) X gearbox reduction

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned