The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

VW flip key mod ***lotsa pics***

mr.mitsu

Hey guys,

I picked up a couple VW key fobs and wanted to install my key inside.

So...off to the garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Here are pics of keys. Mine is on the left and my brother's Honduh on the right.

e3031ec7.jpg

1874c525.jpg

First off, I pulled the 2 halves apart. You can use a small screwdriver to help pry.

d8deab2a.jpg

I removed the VW sticker on the back. Underneath there is a small Phillips screw.

678994f0.jpg

Here is a exploded pic of the "upper" guts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

0f832eb2.jpg

VW key. Notice the slot near the top for the spring pin

f44f705c.jpg

6ea9045f.jpg

9109d721.jpg

I popped out the pin with a modified precision screwdriver

a71b951a.jpg

Then I did layout and filed the profile of the VW key onto mine.

(no pics)

Once everything lined up (with some filing) I put the guts back together. You have to twist the upper portion counter clockwise once before you close it up.

Rice or nice?

mr.mitsu

I thought about it, but I'm not too savy with electronics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SleepinGVR4

Actually you know whats funny my buddy has a mitsu flip key holder with out any buttons on it. I'll try to get him to post a picture of it. I bet you wish you knew that before you took on this project.

Brunoboy

Quoting AnotherNewb:
keep it oem

I will buy this, and send a key to the OP if he'd do it. let me know how much you'd charge to do the service lol.

BoostedAWD91

This is what i got with my car. Its a aftermarket item i believe you can still buy somewhere

alansupra94

Pretty f***ing cool OP! To get it to work, you would probably have to get a the VW electronics for inside of the car.

Andy_S

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
This is what i got with my car. Its a aftermarket item i believe you can still buy somewhere

I have the same key for my MR2.

mr.mitsu

Quoting AnotherNewb:
keep it oem

I actually bought that already!

It's far from OEM hahaha. It lacks the weight the VW fobs have. The feel is cheap and plastic-y. The part the key sits in is chrome plated plastic as opposed to metal. And yes, the buttons are non-functional

Thanks anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

P.S. Anyone planning on picking this ebay fob, you CAN NOT use the key in our cars. The key pattern is for the Evo. It's basically a mirror image /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This mod is very easy. I wouldn't be able to sleep charging someone to do this. What with shipping charges and down time.

I was able to do 2 in about 20 min /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IF someone wanted me to, pm me and we can work something out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

89Mirageman

You guys need to sweet talk Curtis into cutting some custom aluminum ones using the VW one as a template. Maybe even put the badge # on them or the Mitsu logo.

transparentdsm

Quoting mr.mitsu:
Quoting AnotherNewb:
keep it oem

I actually bought that already!

It's far from OEM hahaha. It lacks the weight the VW fobs have. The feel is cheap and plastic-y. The part the key sits in is chrome plated plastic as opposed to metal. And yes, the buttons are non-functional

Thanks anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

P.S. Anyone planning on picking this ebay fob, you CAN NOT use the key in our cars. The key pattern is for the Evo. It's basically a mirror image /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oh fudge sticks! i just bought one for my vr4 and one for my Rs AWD darn it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
This mod is very easy. I wouldn't be able to sleep charging someone to do this. What with shipping charges and down time.

I was able to do 2 in about 20 min /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IF someone wanted me to, pm me and we can work something out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings