The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

400 WHP goal. Opinions on setup etc welcome.

thedsmguy

My main objective to this post is to see if FIC 900cc high impedance injectors will do the job or not.

My goal is 400 whp on pump gas ... NOT E85.

I have a big 16g well ported, FP manifold, Punishment 1g fmic, 3" o2 housing and exhaust, HKS 264 cams, Stock internals otherwise, DSM link w/speed density (to be installed soon), Walbro 255.

Do I have the stuff to make 400 to the wheels once I buy bigger injectors and have link setup? If not, what would the sore spots be?

Just trying to get some opinions and suggestions.

Terry Posten

Look at my "rides" post to see what it takes to get 360whp on 93 pump.

Mine is a very safe tune.

IMO - you need bigger turbo, bigger cams, a very healthy tranny, aftermarket intake manifold, and forged internals. And don't forget all the little things like fuel pump rewire, large exhaust, etc...

400whp will be over 500 at the crank. Your tranny will not last long, your 3 bolt rear will snap axles, your clutch will fry it's self, and you might want to make sure the steering, suspension, and brakes are top notch.

But yes, 900 injectors will get you there, but you got a lot more to go.

Good luck.

Last edited:

thedsmguy

Yeah, KYB agx w/stock springs (looking to upgrade), new calipers and slotted rotors with axis pads and dot4 complete system flush and new master cyl, I have a 4 bolt for it just not installed yet, and I'm running a act 2600 pp, street disk and streetlight flywheel.

Cool, I think I got my answer as far as injector sizing and some good ideas on what to upgrade next, I part out a ton of DSM's so bottom ends are not really that hard to come by and I'm use to doing the work of swapping them so I figure I'm not going to sink any money into a "built" bottom end when I have about 5 (no joke) sitting in my garage.

Maybe I should just shoot for the 360 range like yours Terry!

Thanks again.

JSchleim18

I believe you can achieve that number with a bigger turbo (20G, FP Green, HX35, Borg Warner 250 series, or 50 trim equivalent).

I have a 20G plus a built motor, cams, stock intake mani, etc. and if I don't reach 400whp on pump I'm shooting myself in the face.

turbofonz

I put down 352 AWHP on pumpgas in my 1g.

evo3 16g, FP race manifold,3" turboback, ETS race FMIC, dsmlink v3 speed density etc.. Rc1000's and 255.

STOCK motor, stock intake manifold. ARP headstuds, BC272 cams.
ACT2600, fidanza flywheel

Tune it well and over 300 is easily possible. But a big 16g isn't quite as efficent as the evo3. I will say that my 352whp "tune" was a little aggressive but the car never knocked or acted up. A good intercooler is KEY.

a 50trim or similar turbo will make it MUCH easier.

PreskitVR4

my 1g put down 351awhp, 91oct, AGP HP-61 (basically a 35R), AEM EMS, and a Spearco FMIC that was built for an Alltrac. My RC 550's were pissed, running 106% duty cycle. I would call it an aggressive tune, since it was a 100% bone stock motor with over 100,000 road race and aggressive street driving miles on it.

3rdstrikedsm

My old 1g put down 389 whp on 33-34 psi 93 oct fuel with an evo 3 16g which was tuned by one of the best tuners in the country and that was all that could be had from the evo 3 16g and it was working beyond it's said limits.

This was done on 780cc injectors so 900 is way more than enough.

johnnyRacer

I think the "Recipe for a 11 sec galant", will get you pretty close to where you want to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif click

SleepinGVR4

Yeah if anyone would know it would be Nate. Nate and Harry were two of the first couple of people to really started pushing these cars. I think Turbo magazine even did an article on them back in the day.

alansupra94

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
My old 1g put down 389 whp on 33-34 psi 93 oct fuel with an evo 3 16g which was tuned by one of the best tuners in the country and that was all that could be had from the evo 3 16g and it was working beyond it's said limits.

This was done on 780cc injectors so 900 is way more than enough.

34psi? Holy sh*t! Isn't that out of the efficiency range of that turbo?

3rdstrikedsm

Way out but it made 400 ft lbs and flat out hauled ass for a 16g my friend who is the tuner has evo's on 40 psi and stock evo 9 turbo on e-85 and the tq numbers are staggering and he simply walks 35r powerd evo's on the street.
It's amazing what a good tuner can do with a small turbo!

One thing I have learned from him over the years from him is that compressor maps don't mean jack.
He was the owner of my Audi s6 before I had it and on a stock turbo which is about the size of a 13g I was able to run a 12.8 1/4 which made it the worlds fastest stock turbo Audi s6 so the tune really is everything and the right tuner can work magic!

broxma

I believe the English brothers would agree with this. They have their Evo 9 turbo putting out north of 35PSI as well putting 520+ WHP on the ground. It isn't efficiency map be damned, but rather, can you tune for the turbo on the limit of the map? I think of a turbo map and see the "bad" area at 50%, and then I remember that most superchargers don't run even that well.

/brox

thedsmguy

Update, I found a local guy that will do some trading with me.. I'm ending up with a good shape older FP green. Tial Gate etc..

Pretty happy, Just need to finish the trade/swap etc..

JSchleim18

FFFFUUUUU!!! I want an FP Green /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts