The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BITCHIN TOOL!!!! Coolant

ken inn

i just used this. wow. if you ever had problems burping a cooling system, you need to get one of these.

click

Last edited by a moderator:

Muskrat

Interesting. How much did I run you?

That's basically how OEM's fill cooling and brake systems.

Andy_S

That would awesome to have working on my mr2. Burping the cooling is always a pain with the radiator and engine so far apart.

ken inn

Quoting Muskrat:
Interesting. How much did I run you?

That's basically how OEM's fill cooling and brake systems.

click

the fittings are top notch.

Chad989of2000

I expected to see a picture of a woman when I clicked on this thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

number3

Thank you. Perfect tool for my V8 miata coolant issues!

ken inn

this millenia has been kicking my ass. i did a water pump, and i have been chasing an airlock problem for weeks. i even bought a lisle funnel tool that didnt work. i knew it was airlock, but i just couldnt fix it. plus, it is so hot here, i didnt have any real motivation. tried all kinds of ideas to burping the system. after putting all the fittings in place, it took like a minute to vacuum the system. then i let it sit for a couple minutes to make sure there were no leaks. then, put the hose in a bucket of water, turn the valve, and that sucker filled itself up in about a minute. amazing. i could tell it took in a couple more quarts of water. road tested, no more overheat. but now i think i got a broke motor mount. this car hates me. i think i gave it the equivalent of an enema

AnotherNewb

Quoting Chad989of2000:
I expected to see a picture of a woman when I clicked on this thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I was expecting a picture of Curtis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

broxma

Cut bottom off 2 liter soda bottle. Invert. Place in water neck. Fill with coolant/Water. Always worked for me.

/brox

DynastyLCD

the air lift is great. my boss had a snap on one, pulls all the air out of the system til all the hoses are collapsed, even opens the thermostat if i recall correctly. he made it manditory to use these on every car. the only issue i ever had with them is sometimes having to add an oz or two to top off the system, but other than that its a pretty sure fire way to get all the air out.

number3

Quoting broxma:
Cut bottom off 2 liter soda bottle. Invert. Place in water neck. Fill with coolant/Water. Always worked for me.

/brox

You missed the point. I can pound a nail in to the wall with a rock too but a hammer will do the job better and quicker.

JNR

What do you suppose the maximum vacuum (in-hg) should be using something like this? I mean, it seems there may be a point of putting too much in there and 25 in-Hg seems like a lot of vacuum, where as something like 10 may do the trick...Just hate to do something and boom spring a leak somewhere (freeze plugs, thermostat, radiator, etc.) that was not designed for so much vacuum. Sounds like it works with that amount, but be interesting to know.

Otherwise, looks like a good idea and something a DYI could easily put together...I'd like it for getting all the stuff out of the block and such (never had any issues with air, as running the engine with the cap off (funnel if you don't want it splashing around) for a bit generally expels any residual). However, this is with oem type systems...When your filler is lower than the thermostat opening, then you should probably be using a remote filler or expansion tank. Otherwise, good luck getting the air out.

ken inn

ok, here is what i tried:

click

it didnt work. and to answer the question about the amount of vacuum, this uses a venturi type of vacuum. iow, it uses shop air to blow over a venturi, so each system will pull as much vacuum as needed. this is not like an a/c vacuum pump, where it mechanically sucks out air, whether the system can take it or not. most systems are pressurized at 1 bar or more, so they can take the vacuum. also, it will show immediately if there are any leaks. i was fighting with this for 2 weeks. since it is so hot, even overnite, the system barely cooled, so not much coolant was going back in. i think if ambient was way cooler, the normal heat cycles would have bled the system. to me, it was worth the money. i was ready to pay more than double that for the car to work. i figger i got a great deal on a great tool that i will use over and over in the future. it does it so quick, it is really amazing.

JNR

OK, that makes sense about the vacuum level, since it's "pulling" from the shop air passing it and will start to create a vacuum, sucking out the fluid.

I thought I reas somewhere on that original link though that they were holding 25 in-Hg to check for leaks. I imagine the cooling system components could take that, just with the way they make radiators now with the plastic end caps and all that, was a little concerned there.

I may try this on the galant though, since it's been sitting so long and imagine there's still residual coolant in the engine block and such. This would also work well if you were to replace dex-cool, let's say, with standard 'green' stuff, to eliminate contamination issues.

Speaking of sitting so long, little worried about it eating at the aluminum components, so anxious to get that thing flushed.

alansupra94

Quoting broxma:

/brox

I do that too lol. I just can't afford all those fancy tubes lol.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned