The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing belt pulley froze...

and chewed up the timing belt. FML. It's in the shop now. $311 in parts at O'Reilly Timing belt/pulley, cam belt/pulley, water pump, and seals. Then $375 labor at a friend's shop. While they're at it, replacing the other belts on the engine which I'd already bought. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting to spend this kind of coin on the car at the moment.

I'm posting to not only share my bullshhhhhh experience, but also ask if there's anything else I should get to working on at 112k miles before anything else breaks down on me?

284398_692175413472_71107597_34853780_2175104_n.jpg

223060_692175448402_71107597_34853781_7615885_n.jpg

268620_692175493312_71107597_34853782_6519334_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok. That's something they will do at the shop I believe, since they know it broke while driving. I just texted the owner to make sure. valves on a DOHC are kind of a pain to replace aren't they?

Terry Posten

If you had an internal collision, hope that it is only a valve or 8 and not a set of pistons as well. If you do have to have the head pulled, make sure you have them do a full head rebiuld with new guides.

fuel

looks like the tensioner or a bearing failed causing the belt to get loose and slip.

If you were driving or even had the engine running at the time I would say you would have bent valves too.

moidsm1

I agree, Anytime the belt slips this bad or rips you will most likeley have to rebuild the head at a minumum. Anytime you buy a car and want to use it as a daily driver you should have all the timing components replaced.

fuel

Am guessing at 112k miles it could be on its original belt/tensioner combo. I like to replace them every 10 years/100,000kms(62,500miles), whichever occurs first.

rdomeck

This sound very familiar. I recently purchased my car and got 385 miles on it when the bolt on the idler for the tension loosened up and jump time. It bent the valves. I ended up doing a complete rebuild just to make sure. If there is any chance that your engine has been over boosted you may want to throw a set of rings at it and check the bearings. I also found that one of the balance shaft bearings had came out of it's bore and was causing #3 main bearing to not have any oil pressure. I think what I had happen was out of the norm, but it's worth checking into!

Was getting to that, it just messed up prior. ...And on the valve cover... I know, I've been trying to get it just running lately first. I've only put 2k on it since it's been running.

DR1665

Quoting yeti:
that valve cover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Tell me about it. My guess was that whatever acid had been dripping onto the valve cover had finally made its way to the bottom of the block. Unfortunately, this is what happens when people don't spay or neuter their aliens. They breed in the wild, people hit them with their cars, and acid gets everywhere. It's a mess. Tsk, tsk.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts