The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Change from 20g to Hx35 or Hx40

NinjaVR4

First off, would you guys recommend it? I am looking in to just getting another 20g because mine is blown, but I saw these holset turbos and they look pretty good. Powerwise, where does the 20g sit? Between the two, or less power than the both of them? Finally, how would the bolt up? Would I need to make changes to fit them on, or are they a straight bolt on?

curtis

It depends on how hard you want it to run.

A 20G I think flows like 42 or 44lbs a minute or something like that. Then I just found this on tuners, don't know if these numbers are exact but are close

8blade hx35 = 52-54 lb/min.
7blade hx35 = 58-60 lb/min
8blade hx40 = 60-62 lb/min
Super40 or hx40 pro = 68-71 lb/min.

The s362 and s366 schwitzer/borg warners/airwerks are in at around 65 lbs a minute but the extended tips bring more to the dinner table like comparing a GT30r to a 35r HTA at 72. A schwitzer map compared to a 35R is two totally separate animal and area in the sweet spot is like 3 times larger.

To step up I'd do a Bullseye housing that way you can keep your O2 and exhaust as is but your going to need fuel. 750's want cut it.

Now my thoughts on the matter. a 20g is a hybrid.... big ass compressor wheel on a little shaft with little turbine. Yea spool is sick but nothing upstairs like any I listed above and you have to deal with a small shaft thats flexing and wearing at bearings and a small turbine wheel that can't flow. This is why years ago they clipped the turbine wheels. If you drive it hard your making a crap load of heat to make power and baby parts that can't take the abuse like a big shaft in a turbo that was originally designed to push a truck down the road for a half a million miles. Thats why big turbos live. The turbine is huge and its mass is such a huge comp wheel can be used and be balanced closer to one another. A balanced turbo is a happy turbo. Now a Large turbo can make plenty of street power down low sized correctly and pull like a bike up top even without cranking it to the moon. My schitzer I ran and the one on my buddies honda are sick amounts of power around 17 to 20 but when turned up gets stupid really quick. Great benefit to all this is heat. To make lets say 450 hp a 20g is in its efficiency range and is at full temp maybe over 300 outlet temp on the compressor. all that heat hits the cooler but there is some heat hitting the engine bay. My schwitzer on 17 lbs didn't even get the pipes hot and you could tell a slight temperature differential on on end tank compared to the other but nothing you couldn't put your hand on and leave it just luke warm. Cooler means more power and longer lasting hoses, gaskets , wiring etc.

I've installed or help install all of the above and would pick a s366 over any of them. I'm going to try a he351ve VGT turbo on mine. Just cause I want to flow is 72 a minute but hoping for sick big 16 spool up and GT40 pulling power mid range and up top. If I can't get the electronics sorted I'll go back to a schwitzer in the 66 to 72 range with a bullseye housing in the .82/1.00 range.

You can watch craigslist for hx35/and 40s and call Bill at bullseye and he has a turbine for just about anything you want. Just give him the model number on the tag. My buddies schwitzer came straight from a truck boneyard and was on a international 2300 big rig. Its like a 58 or 60mm but the magor diameter is huge like the same as a s400. Called Bill at the junkyard and he said he had a housing for it in stock so he's got a total of 350 in a turbo thats putting down around 600 to the tires on 20psi with a 2.0 liter on pump gas. I think up at 40psi the car should go close to 750/800 range but can't hook up 600 so why try.

OZRally

Holsets require a lot of modification to work in our engine bays but the results are epic. If you want big power with fast spool go with a Holset since they're very cheap and readily available. If you're looking for an easy bolt on turbo with good power then go with the 20g. I have no personal experience with Borg Warners but have seen great results from others.
Good luck

beaner

I feel like with few exceptions, everyone that runs a Holset stays around 400hp no matter how high the PSI. They sound amazing on the internet, but they just don't seem to deliver in real life. I'm not so confident you'll be happy going from a 20g to one of those.

Has anyone here made big numbers on a Holset? Maybe it's just all the kids on tuners bolting these on without using their heads..cranking the boost to 40psi and paying someone to keep it from popping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

OZRally

It all depends on the tune and supporting mods. I'm at 28 psi on pump and am right next to a friend with an Evo X who dyno'd at 535 with FP Black on e85. All depends on your setup and tuning abilities. On tuners I've seen plenty of guys in 500+ range with Holsets.

CutlassJim

A 16G is 44 lbs/min a 20G is 48. A TD06 20G would be the way to go if you can find one. If not FP sells them in a T3 for like $550. Just swap turbine housings and you are good to go.

Launch

Whats the average flow rate of a FP TD06 'SL2' 20G with its lighter, 11 blade TW? ...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned