The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bilstein HDs

Dan D

I bought these(clicky) from belize1334. I also got the rear evo springs and hats.

Got everything together over the weekend. Rears were a piece of cake. Initially they sat ~0.75” higher vs my old OEM springs on blown AGX but once I finished the fronts and let it settle overnight there is little over 1” drop. I was actually surprised by how much lower they went. I slapped my old oem springs on the fronts after I painted the housings just to get an idea of how it would sit and ride. The front is sky high now with the rear having dropped.

In regards to ride these are great. The rears handle the evo spring rate just fine. No weird oscillations or bouncing – just flat and smooth. What a big improvement in ride quality over the agx. Smooth and stable with little body roll. Soaks up bumps quite well and is super stable in a corner with only a roughed-in alignment. I just need to get the front springs sorted. I like how it rides so much that I might try some DSM front springs so it levels out some without too much increase in front spring rate. I can’t believe more people hadn’t figured out and tried these Bilsteins.

123abc

I must ask, whats the problem running 3kgt vr4 Bilstein hd's? Why the bmw rears?

Last edited:

tektic

Any chance there's a part number on the cut struts your using to house you bilstein inserts?

tektic

I've read it and commented. My questions weren't answered.

Edit:
I guess you tried cutting open gr2s from a DSM and it didn't fit? Well last question I have would be is it worth 300 for front struts when you can get bc set for ~1k?

Last edited:

pagosadsm

My opinion is that Bilstein HDs are much better than any cheap coilovers on the market. Their is no part # for the strut housing because they were built in my garage. All of my modds are custom made in my garage. I am old school hot rodder, always build your own parts, not bolt ons
Rick

tektic

What is the actual outside diameter ?
Edit:
What spring rate and length are you running up front?

Last edited:

tektic

What's the impression with these springs? It is on a Galant right? Do you have a picture of the ride hight? I have a 7" 280# set, up front that is maxed out tall and has a huge drop. They are just not cutting it. I was considering a set of 9" but will now look into 10". You are using the gc sleeves right?

GSTwithPSI

Quoting pagosadsm:
My opinion is that Bilstein HDs are much better than any cheap coilovers on the market. Their is no part # for the strut housing because they were built in my garage. All of my modds are custom made in my garage. I am old school hot rodder, always build your own parts, not bolt ons
Rick

What makes the damper so awesome?

GSTwithPSI

That was a good read. Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if I would ever compare NASCAR to F1 though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

My issue is that unless these are valved specifically for the VR4, they probably leave a lot to be desired compared to even some of the "cheaper" coilover setups. Sure, I'm sure they are really nice dampers, but unless they are set up specifically for the car, you aren't going to use them to their full potential, especially since they aren't adjustable. You'd need somebody like Mueller to do the leg work and figure out the optimal valving, and then find someone to actually modify the dampers. My point being, these would need to be properly valved to really be an improvement over even a decent to cheap adjustable damper.

Last edited:

coyotes

Bilstein HDs are nice, on their own though they are just an upgrade over stock dampers. Bilstein can revalve them for you to any specification you chose. They are good for a set it and forget it style setup, but anyone who wants to tune their dampers will be unable.

What does the one lap VR4 run?

ktmrider

Quoting coyotes:
Bilstein HDs are nice, on their own though they are just an upgrade over stock dampers. Bilstein can revalve them for you to any specification you chose. They are good for a set it and forget it style setup, but anyone who wants to tune their dampers will be unable.

This, altho "unable" really should be "not easily" ( send them to Bilstein for revalve ).

Bilstein suspension products are about as good as they come. Run them on my Subaru's and had a set on 86/2000, for an install-and-forget system there's nothing better IMO.

GSTwithPSI

I believe Coyotes ment "unable" as is you aren't going to do it yourself like you can with an adjustable set of dampers.

As I said, drop in Blistens (or any damper) should be valved for a specific application. I don't see how they could possibly perform better than adjustable dampers unless they are properly valved. Who has figured out how these should be valved for a Galant VR4, because a damper set up for a 3kgt wouldn't even be close IMO? It sounds like people typically buy these for another application (like a 3kgt) and just drop them in a strut assembly that fits the Galant. If that's the case, you'd probably be better off with a Blisten damper for an Evo or something, if they are even available for an Evo. At least then the valving would probably be closer to being right for the Galant.

Last edited:

tektic

3kgt 3350-3655 lbs weight distribution F/R: 60/40

G-vr4 Curb Weight: 3,270-3527lb weight distribution F/R: 58/42 spring rate front:

Evo-X Curb Weight: 3,131–3,527lb weight distribution F/R: 57/43 spring rate front: 3.5kg(196lb) rear: 2.9-3.8kg(162-212lb) (kg/mm & lbs/in)

The weight isn't that dissimilar so why would the valving be that far off...

This guy loves bilstines click

Last edited:

pagosadsm

I like my Bilsteins. Yes the valving is correct according with Bilstein USA. I was in close communication with Wes at the Bilstein west coast. He was very interested with what I was doing. Bilstein was in the development with manufacturing housing for their struts. I don't have unlimited funds and my thought the Bilsteins was the best choice. As far as the people that disagree with Bilstein show us what you have done with your car. You can see my profile and photos of my build on DSM tuners. I am Shure you have a great car with all of the supporting up grades, all tubular control arms with all steel and heim joint suspension. Upgraded brakes, frame stiffing and roll center and bump steer adjustment. I built the Bilstein stuts and shocks with Ground Controls coilover springs and camber plats for less than $1000.00.

Tektic
I sent you a PM with my phone#. If you would like to give me a call, I would be happy to help
Rick

GSTwithPSI

For the fronts, the part number R36-5021-H0 doesn't exist anywhere that I can find. I also don't see it listed anywhere for a 3KGT. The part number F4-R36-5022-H0 DOES exist however, and that shock is listed for a 3000GT VR-4, which weighs in closer to 3,800-3,900 lbs. Someone feel free to school me up if i'm not Googling good enough.

click

click

The rear is listed for multiple BMW applications ranging from the 89' 525i (3,400 lbs) to the 95' 540i (3,700 lbs). Anyone's guess how that one is valved.

click

Weight distribution doesn't help you that much when comparing 2 vehicles with substantially different weights. You could have 2 cars with 60/40 weight distribution, but if one weighs 100 lbs and the other weighs 1,000lbs, these two cars don't have a bit of common ground when picking the proper suspension setup.

I'm not sure how these would be valved honestly. That was my point. It's anyone's guess until someone does the research on this particular damper (shock dyno, etc). I would go with a cheaper "tuneable" damper before I dropped these in, and did a bunch of custom work just to make them fit. I just don't see the payoff. But, that's just me. I'm sure they are a vast improvement over stock. But, a vast improvement over a cheaper adjustable damper? I just don't see how they would be right out of the box.

Last edited:

coyotes

Quoting pagosadsm:
I like my Bilsteins. Yes the valving is correct according with Bilstein USA. I was in close communication with Wes at the Bilstein west coast. He was very interested with what I was doing. Bilstein was in the development with manufacturing housing for their struts. I don't have unlimited funds and my thought the Bilsteins was the best choice. As far as the people that disagree with Bilstein show us what you have done with your car. You can see my profile and photos of my build on DSM tuners. I am Shure you have a great car with all of the supporting up grades, all tubular control arms with all steel and heim joint suspension. Upgraded brakes, frame stiffing and roll center and bump steer adjustment. I built the Bilstein stuts and shocks with Ground Controls coilover springs and camber plats for less than $1000.00.

Tektic
I sent you a PM with my phone#. If you would like to give me a call, I would be happy to help
Rick

I'm not a hater or a doubter of bilsteins. I would love to see your setup actually. It is only my opinion that no one on here is serious enough to go with a proper track setup. BCs or JICs do the trick for those who hit the track for fun.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts