The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My car turns over strong but wont start? Cam pos. sen?

TOM

I was thinking it might be my fuel pump but I pulled the line off and turned it over and it pumped gas into a pan so I dont think its the pump. I think it might be the cam position sensor. How do i test it?

belize1334

The ECU only turns the pump on when it gets a signal from the CAS that the engine is turning. So, if you got fuel out of the rail while cranking the engine that your CAS is working. It may be set wrong though which could throw the timing way out. Do you have a timing light to set the it to 5* BTDC?

You can also unplug one of the ignition wires, insert a spare spark plug or screw-driver, and then lay it over the head next to some bare exposed metal. You should see a spark while cranking. If not then you have an issue with the ignition. Maybe a bad igniter, maybe a burnt coil-pack, maybe fouled plugs, maybe just bad wires. Also check to see if you have any stored error codes. There's a procedure on www.vfaq.com which will guide you through it. It's under "electrical."

TOM

i have a TMO chip in the car and I know it will flash the codes at me but I cant remember how to make that work. Do you know how?

i unbolt the cas and turn it by hand with the ignition on.. listen to spark and injector click.

Nabeel

In case the engine does not start at all. I am suspecting either the ECU or timing issue.

Adorsey

Check the ignition resistor pack. It could be burnt or is plugged into the ISC plug on the harness.
Spark, fuel, no ignition could lead to injectors.

Last edited:

TOM

I have spark but when we where testing it my friend seen a spark out of the coil pack where the spark pulg wire come out of it. all 4 wires spark. could it be the coil pack? if so how do I test it?

TOM

tell me again how to see if the fule pump is working with the wire up by the master cyl. Would it be a fuse some where or a relay of some kind? How do I see my codes from my tmo chip? turn car on and wate for the ce light to blink? I pulled the plugs and they all look fine.

SSGdave

After cranking for a while, are the spark plugs covered in fuel? Are you sure the injectors are Firing?

T-Belt still there? (no BS) and if so, is the engine on Time?
also, if you have fuel and spark, you might want to check for Low Compression/No Compression.

Last edited:

trunks

Please don't be offended but are the wires in the right order on the coil pack? I will not start if you don't have the correct firing order.

TOM

How do I test the injectors. T-belt is on. The car was driving fine and just shut off as I came to a stop and would not start back up.

14u2nV

Quoting TOM:
I have spark but when we where testing it my friend seen a spark out of the coil pack where the spark pulg wire come out of it .

Was it doing this while all the wires were connected? Spark should not be there.

spooling92vr4

I have seen this happen with a bad coolant temp switch, or sometimes the wires get brittle. When that happens nit throws the timing off and the car has trouble starting.

Nabeel

Yeh, bad coolant temp could cause this also.

TOM

If I use starting fluid the car will start and run till the fluid is gone and then it dies. It seams as if the injectors are not working. If I take the fuel line off at the fuel rail and turn the car over it will pump out gas.....fuel pump working? should I test fuel line pressure. How much line pressure should I have?

grocery_getter

So the car starts with lighter fluid. That means ignition is fine, CAS is fine and coolant temp sensor is fine.

Check your injector operation using a noid light. They probably aren't firing. It is useless to have a fuel pressure in the rail if the injectors are not opening. If the injectors are not opening, check to make sure they have 12 volts on one of their legs with the key on ON. If they do have the 12 volts on them then the reason they are not opening is because the ecu is not grounding them. In that case, you might have a bad injector controller inside ecu.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts