The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4 to 5 lug Wheel Adapters???

maxash0775

Hey all. I am planning on picking up my GVR4 this friday. Woohoo, Finally. One of the upgrades I was looking into was a 4 to 5 lug conversion. I have seen alot of talk on what needs to be done and how to use the 1G parts but I ran across this site that offers 4 to 5 lug conversions and wanted to get some input from the board. Here is the site, let me know what you guys think. click If that doesn't work try www.adapterkings.com

14u2nV

Those will space your wheels out an inch or two, which I imagine isn't good for caster/camber (can't remember which is which), plus it's better and probably actually cheaper to do it with DSM hubs.

SouthCaliVR4

Your wheels will definitely poke out some with those. I have a pair of H&R's bolt on spacers in the rear of 825 I think 23mm or something to that effect, they bring the rears track width in line with the front basically putting front and rear wheels even with the body. any amount of spacer in the front & they're poking out.

Best way to go is swapping the hubs to dsm ones. then run spacers in the rear if you want even front/rear track width.

boostx

I think anything spacer over 1/4" will add a crap load of stress on the wheel bearings which will lead to premature failure.

CutlassJim

I agree with everything said above. Spacing your wheels out more than 1/4" or 5mm is a bad idea for wheel bearings to boot. But I will add that I had 6 to 5 lug adapters on my Mighty Max and they made the RX7 and Evo rims fit perfect because of the added thickness. They also looked a lot like the adapters on the site you linked and I was VERY impressed with the robustness and quality of the adapters.

I don't see how wheel adapters would be any more stressful on bearings than wheels with a different offset. The car was designed with +46 offset wheels and the more popular offsets are +35-38.

CutlassJim

Well with the same width rim a smaller positive offset would actually be less stress on the wheel bearing. But that would take the barrel of the wheel and move it deeper into the wheel well and look awful and cause clearance issues. The reason you see less positive offset on wider rims is so that the inside of the barrel stays about where it is and all the added width is away from the car towards the fenders. People get confused with backspacing and offset all the time. Good excuse to use MS paint.

Offest.png

Here you can see that to keep the same backspacing when going to a wider rim you need a less positive offset. In FWD/AWD land you never see negative offsets but you do in RWD cars. That's why a nice wide rim on a RWD usually has a nice deep "lip". If you were to keep the offset the same on a wider rim the backspacing would be too high like stated above.

Any of the above combos that move the outside of the rim barrel away from the hub increase leverage that the road has on the hub and increases wear on the bearing. For some reason adapters and spacers seem to amplify this effect more than just having a super wide low offset rim.

Barnes

In other words: Subtract the thickness of the wheel adapter from your rim offset and see if it is an acceptable number. Mechanically you can think of it as a wheel spacer. So as long as your effective offset isn't waaaay out there you are probably fine.

maxash0775

Thanks everyone. I need brakes and rotors so I am debating this before I spend money on stock rotors and pads.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts