The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Doing the Subaru Alternator Swap

alansupra94

So after seeing that both my battery and alternator are on their way out, I decided to upgrade. After searching I seem to have found that people have used both the Saturn and Subaru alternator. Someone *cough* Curtis *cough* recommend going with the Subaru alternator so I will be doing more research into it.

So far I have not been able to find any stock 160amp alternators. Are there any or are the 160amp ones the rewound ones?

I mean personally, I would be happy with 120amp but if I can get an nice one for a few more bucks, I figured it couldn't hurt. I plan on also getting a dry cell for the trunk. Already ran 0 gauge wires for both power, 0 gauge ground and in-line fuse. I plan on running 0 gauge for the alternator, upgrading the fuse, putting more grounding wires in the engine bay and possibly a breaker.

What do you guys think? As for my draw level, I basically have everything stock (including an A/C system I plan on re-installing and ABS), JVC headunit, (4) 6.5 pioneer speakers, (1) 10in Infinity subwoofer, (1) 400W amplifier, 300W inverter, AEM EMS, 3 gauges including one being a boost controller, and HID headlights and fogs.

Majority of those things like the HID headlights, fogs, 10in infinity, amplifier, boost controller are not installed or might draw more if I decide to add a little more (as in (2) subwoofers and a 800W amplifier).

jnava

Staff member
I have a Bosch and it has been great. I go to work every night and run around in the 96 degree weather and I have no problems. The orielly sh*t broke down in about 2 weeks.

4thStroke

Just make sure you don't get a Subaru alternator built by Mitsu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

On a lighter note... I too have the Bosch and it's been great for some time now.

alansupra94

When you say Bosch, what are you referring to part number wise?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned