The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

All about destroked and strocker

jnava

Staff member
Very good read, this help someone decide on a stroker or non. Needs to be in the "how to and info section."

jmorri15

awesome article, as far as the agressive camshafts go i was looking at doing the heads now to. how insane can i go since the 2.3 will tolerate more agressive cams and still have a streetable car, i was looking at 274's or 280's

cheekychimp

Quoting jnava:
Very good read, this help someone decide on a stroker or non. Needs to be in the "how to and info section."

I'm pretty sure that article has been around a while, I think Aaron put it my way when I was considering engine options and that was quite a while back. It is great information but I'm not sure it will really "help someone decide on a stroker or not" as you suggested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On the contrary, it left me with an overwhelming desire to build all three configurations just so that I could compare them side to side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

curtis

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Like it was said in the article its a matter of opinion but the 2.1's are nasty fast reving motors but there again a short piston with a longer rod makes brutal torque. My old mustang had a 5.4 inch long rod with a stock stroke where factory was a 5.109 rod. Never had the car on the dyno but by the weight and et's/60 fts it ran back then figured the car was about 500hp and 625 torque. Fun street car but absolutely sucked replacing tires about every 6 to 8 weeks on the rear.

DynastyLCD

Quoting jmorri15:
awesome article, as far as the agressive camshafts go i was looking at doing the heads now to. how insane can i go since the 2.3 will tolerate more agressive cams and still have a streetable car, i was looking at 274's or 280's

after running my Kelford 280's on a stock bottom end, im not afraid in the slightest to throw these in my 2.3. will hopefully be running the stroker motor by the end of this week.

anyone here have a 2.3/30r or 35r combo? curious on the feedback. i havent even fired my stroker yet...

curtis

Local guy has a 2.1 in an evo with kelfords and a 37R with a 1.05 turbine but is a full twin scroll with 2 gates. My God its nasty. You son are going to have a bad boy by next weekend.

Terry Posten

I have a 2.3 with BC280s and the PTE equivalent GT35.

Idle is smooth at 1000 but below that, it is harsh and I have the rev limit set at 7500 but rarely take it above 7200.

I am running solid motor mounts and no balance shafts and the motor does transmit quite a bit of vibrations. So much so that the drivers side headlight shakes. It has a bad harmonic around the 2500 mark but by 2800 it is gone and is good all the way up to redline.

I am having the engine tuned Tuesday and will let you know if the boost hits differently but now it starts to spool at 3200 and by 4K it is soaring past 20psi.

DynastyLCD

with my kelford 280s, on stock 7.8:1 pistons, and stock intake manifold, i was full boost on the 3052 by 4500 rpms. however, with the JMF race intake manifold (the mid sized one) and HKS 272s, its about 4200 so theres not much difference.

the stroker setup will be: 2.3, 9.0:1 ross pistons, kelford 280s, FP3052, JMF race intake manifold, 1200s/V3 ECMlink. im thinking with the 3052 its gonna spool really really fast.

Curtis, do you notice any downsides of the 2.1? that seems like a really cool build. also, magnus came out with a 2.2 setup as well. that looked very interesting, as it revved just as high as the 2.1, IIRC.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned