The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BOV question when running speed density (now with pics of new setup)

Terry Posten

I have converted to speed density. When venting to atmosphere is it ok for the BOV to be open at idle and allowing air to blow out?

I am running the 7lb spring and I have 12 inches of vac.

Should I install a spring that will just keep the BOV closed at idle?

Last edited:

mikus

this is an amateur answer but - since you're working off intake temp and manifold pressure, there should be no adverse effect. Your MAP would be lower, but it's consistent and reading right.

belize1334

Often the air will be sucked in through the BOV so you should put a 1.25" cone filter on there. Otherwise there should be no adverse affect. What is your new SD system?

Terry Posten

ECMLink.

Will be dyno tuning it Tuesday.

Terry Posten

Here are some new pics of what my car has turned into.

1st, lets show the very first picture of the engine bay I took:

This was right after I did the Keydiver 3G MAS upgrade

Here is how it sits today:

alansupra94

Yeah speed density doesn't care.

I have a knock-off Greddy BOV with a authentic Greddy diaphram. If it leaks or breaks I will get a Synapse or something.

jepherz

Staff member
Technically, if your BOV is open at idle it's probably sucking air in, not blowing it out.

The way speed density works though, you are tuning for your actual scenario. You could drill holes in your intake tract if you wanted to, as long as you tune for it (tune with the holes there). However, unlike a stock maf setup, you also need to tune every time you change something. This means you need to tune for new exhaust, new air filter, etc. With MAF, you don't have to.

And to the comment about speed density using IAT and baro, that doesn't have anything to do with it. The stock setup uses IAT and baro as well.

A stock setup is 'more correct' in that it is actually calculating how much air is entering the combustion chamber(s). Speed density is less accurate in that it just allows you to 'tune' your ecu to equate X amount of air to Y amount of pressure from your map sensor.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Dam that was well said man

alansupra94

Quoting jepherz:
Technically, if your BOV is open at idle it's probably sucking air in, not blowing it out.

The way speed density works though, you are tuning for your actual scenario. You could drill holes in your intake tract if you wanted to, as long as you tune for it (tune with the holes there). However, unlike a stock maf setup, you also need to tune every time you change something. This means you need to tune for new exhaust, new air filter, etc. With MAF, you don't have to.

And to the comment about speed density using IAT and baro, that doesn't have anything to do with it. The stock setup uses IAT and baro as well.

A stock setup is 'more correct' in that it is actually calculating how much air is entering the combustion chamber(s). Speed density is less accurate in that it just allows you to 'tune' your ecu to equate X amount of air to Y amount of pressure from your map sensor.

I think you mean MAP. I am not trying to be a dick or grammar nazi but having MAF there might confuse people.

alansupra94

I am almost 100% sure it is suppose to say MAP sensor. With a MAP sensor, you don't have to re-tune anything for minor changes.

Terry Posten

I have gotten word from the ECMLink guys and Chris Beran that this condition is perfectly fine.

And as I think more on it, air blowing out of the BOV at idle will allow the turbo to stay spinning more instead of the air being trapped against the throttle plate in a closed system. Should make for a shorter lag time (all be it, very small).

There will be a very short period of time that airflow may reverse and suck in during some situations and I may look for some sort of filter.

On a side note, I took it for a spin to get some gas today after work and man is the turbo smooth and absolutely zero flutter. The turbo has the coolest scream as it sings past 5 psi. I can't wait to hear it fully tuned running WOT at full boost.

OMFGeofffff

Quoting alansupra94:
I am almost 100% sure it is suppose to say MAP sensor. With a MAP sensor, you don't have to re-tune anything for minor changes.

I think he meant that when using SD you just have to retune when you change things that affect the VE tables. Depending on what changes you make you don't have to retune anything.

Last edited:

OMFGeofffff

Quoting Terry Posten:
I have gotten word from the ECMLink guys and Chris Beran that this condition is perfectly fine.

And as I think more on it, air blowing out of the BOV at idle will allow the turbo to stay spinning more instead of the air being trapped against the throttle plate in a closed system. Should make for a shorter lag time (all be it, very small).

There will be a very short period of time that airflow may reverse and suck in during some situations and I may look for some sort of filter.

On a side note, I took it for a spin to get some gas today after work and man is the turbo smooth and absolutely zero flutter. The turbo has the coolest scream as it sings past 5 psi. I can't wait to hear it fully tuned running WOT at full boost.

I know for a fact that my BOV sucks IN air when at idle.

Terry Posten

Don't get me wrong, it is ok either way.

The way I understand it, if you pulling air in the vent at idle, your turbo is either to small to feed enough air to the idling motor or the turbo requires more exhaust pressure to spin the impeller fast enough to supply enough air to over come the vacuum.

What size is your turbo and is it ball bearing or journal?

OMFGeofffff

Stock turbo stock bov. It should be recirc'd but I can't find a good hose configuration.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting alansupra94:
Quoting jepherz:

I think you mean MAP. I am not trying to be a dick or grammar nazi but having MAF there might confuse people.

No, I mean MAF.

alansupra94

Oh really?

Interesting....I didn't have to re-tune when I changed minor things.

jepherz

Staff member
Well, if they are so minor that you don't affect your VE, I suppose you don't need to re-tune, but from my post above I was considering mods that would change VE, such as an after-market exhaust, etc. The beauty of MAF is you wouldn't have to re-tune even with major changes.

alansupra94

Ah okay I see what you are saying now.

Yeah I guess that is the upside of having a MAF. I personally love being speed density since my VE won't be changing that much until I go to a Holset VGT turbo. At that point I plan on swapping in a whole bunch of parts at one time.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts