The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why you should no longer run a walbro or supra fuel pump.

GSX_TC

thats stupid because I have a walboro 255 and i know it cant support 736 Hp

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Turbowop in 3 ... 2 ... 1

But seriously as has been stated, there is no way those horsepower ratings are accurate and even if they were, what would it mean? A whinebro is still enough pump for 99.95% of us. Hardly a reason to stop using them.

SleepinGVR4

I agree with Paul. Plus jayracing.com sells reworked walbros that out flow the 044 and draw less current. He did a whole write up on Talk to Tuners I forget which.

GSX_TC

Might pick up that aeromotive 340LPH for the VR4 though. Because thats pretty impressive for an in tank pump

belize1334

Honestly my conclusion reading that is that the Walbro 255HP is the best for anything below 500hp. It has the slowest pressure falloff (good for boosted engines) and is still flowing over 250lph at 70psi (over 30psi of boost for typical configurations). And it draws the least current up to 95psi.

Diego

Mine's rewired..... more juice, more powah!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Quoting belize1334:
Honestly my conclusion reading that is that the Walbro 255HP is the best for anything below 500hp. It has the slowest pressure falloff (good for boosted engines) and is still flowing over 250lph at 70psi (over 30psi of boost for typical configurations). And it draws the least current up to 95psi.

+1. Thanks Roger for always being able to see through the BS. (and for saving me the effort of saying what you just said.)

Chase

Im running a 255 in mine as well with no intent to change. That is until the e85 eats it. Just figured it was good knowledge for all. I have nothing against them but for bigger applications its a good read. I ran 255's on my srt I had forever on e85 and around 460whp with no issues on fuel until the ethanol ate it.

alansupra94

So that bosch pump runs inline? So you can install that and a walbro? I am very confused now.

Chase

Quoting 4thStroke:
How many miles did the pump last when running ethanol through it?

I had them burn up in one summer. Not long really. That's why I'll be switching as soon as this one goes.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting GSX_TC:
thats stupid because I have a walboro 255 and i know it cant support 736 Hp

There's a local with a supercharged LT1 camaro making a hair under 800hp with a 255 and a voltage booster. Built by the same local guy that pushed out 1200ish HP from his stroked small block turbo mustang.

thecman02

I was going to call out that statement, but it looks like my job is already done.

On topic, I really want to get that 340 aeromotive pump. Looks like it wouldn't be working to hard compared to my 255hp that is at its limits when running e85.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting alansupra94:
So that bosch pump runs inline? So you can install that and a walbro? I am very confused now.

Yeah you can run the bosch pump inline with another pump or run it by itself. If you run it by itself you have to modify your fuel pump sending unit some.

alansupra94

Sweet that sounds great. Maybe I can even do this in my supra.....but that might just have too many pumps....too many spots for failure.

gtluke

Jesus, I'm running a pair of 044's in my mustang. I should probably take one out!

jnava

Staff member
Do ya think the article is a bit biased? What I mean is they apparently had an independent testing done but the items are for sell. I dunno, I just feel that a walbro is capable for what range of power I want to reach.

Ethanol alone doesnt kill a walbro. My talon has been on E since 2005-2006 on a pump I put in the car back in 2002. It still runs like a champ.

Also, many many many evo and DSM guys have the similar results.

Overkill

I will be using a Bosch 044 in my car

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts