The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is this rod "normal" for 2g pistons

I just picked up some 1g rods machined for 2g pistons from ebay, they are used and one piston was bad
the seller remove the piston, so no clue what happened. My question is should the wrist pin hole be perfectly center?
in the pic it is not, and I cant be sure if the other 3 since the pistons are still attached.

the 3 pistons look "ok" I havnt miced them or anything yet, wanted to be sure of the rod situation first.
Should I send them out to be checked out, or will they just tell me they are bad?

belize1334

The stated rod length is 150mm. The wrist pin should be 22mm for 2G pistons. The rod journal should be 44.96mm. So, measuring from the top of the rod journal to the bottom of the wrist pin hole you should get 150 - 22/2 - 44.96/2 = 116.52. Now, that's with the bearing in the rod. Without the bearing you'll have to subtract the bearing thickness which I don't know. But, the point is that you can measure the rod to determine if that hole is wrong.

Here is what I have managed to come up with, with a cheapo digital caliper so might not be perfect

115.15mm Top of Journal to bottom of wrist pin
21.95mm Wrist pin
47.97mm Rod Journal

I cant find any of my old bearings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

It might just be an optical illusion from the non level/smooth casting?

belize1334

Ok, if the journal measures ~48mm then it's 24mm to center. The rod is 11mm to center. So 115+24+11=150mm. So, I'd say it's right to within about 0.1mm.

Last edited:

Brianawd

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned