The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

90 Transmission swap & axle questions

Lucas03ES

I am swapping a '90 transmission and transfer case in to my VR4. Do I need to swap my shifter cables or the mounting brackets in order to make this swap work correctly?

Also, are the passenger side front axles the same on the gvr4 and the '90 dsms?

Thanks!

3rdstrikedsm

I think you need the bracket but it's been a while since I messed with this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

90 trans is weaker as well just so you know however will be fine for stock replacement.

Yup. You need the transmission bracket and shifter assembly to do a '90 tranny conversion.

Not sure about the axles though.

14u2nV

If you are putting a 90 trans in a 91+ car, all you need to do is swap the brackets from the 91+ trans onto the 90. You don't have to swap cables or shifter.

Last edited:

donkeylips

^This.

IncorpoRatedX

passenger axles are indeed different, different diameters.

donniekak

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
I think you need the bracket but it's been a while since I messed with this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

90 trans is weaker as well just so you know however will be fine for stock replacement.

The 90-early 91, and 91-early 92 gearsets are the strongest dsm gears. The 93+ gearsets have the weak 3-4 setup that shatters.

Quoting 14u2nV:
If you are putting a 90 trans in a 91+ car, all you need to do is swap the brackets from the 91+ trans onto the 90. You don't have to swap cables or shifter.

Is this only applicable to Galants? DSM's require both the brackets/shifter assembly to do the swap?

donkeylips

No, should be the same for both.

belize1334

I ran a '90 in my '91 GVR4 for almost a year. You need the square bracket and the for-aft selector arm from your old transmission. Otherwise it's plug and play.

GSX_TC

If you want stock ones just to get you around the local auto parts stores work fine, but if you think your gonna be launching the car at 7000rpms or making over 500whp then driveshaft shop makes ones for our cars.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts